Thread: 1st shark on fly.....be it a small one

Default 1st shark on fly.....be it a small one

Went for a short paddle this morning to see if the queens were around. The water is now over 30 degrees, and it seems that this spike in the heat has chased the shoals away. Yesterday, it got up to 44 degrees outside....eeeish.

Anyway, I recently bought a fishfinder, Garmin 300C, and it is great because I can finally see what is below me. I was picking up large shoals of decent fish about 10 m down so put on a fast sinking line with a chatreuse clouser, and a fast retrieve, when suddenly the line goes tight. It didn't feel massive, but gave a substantial pull. As it came to the surface, I saw it was a small shark, I am stabbing at a juvenile black-tip reef shark? What do you guys think?

When it saw the kayak, zoom, it took off for a blistering run and the reel handle smashed my hand. Anyway, safely landed, photographed and released.

This is my first shark on fly, so really stoked. Glad the leader didn't break, because after the release I felt it and the line was really frayed.

1 more species to add to the list

Nice one!!!!
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Really cool
    Having all the skyscrapers in the back ground, makes for a surreal atmosphere in the photo.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

That is frikken cool!!!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

What a pleasure... flippen well done. I have only ever caught one shark on fly, a small hammie, who chowed a popper off Beacon isle in Plett. It's a huge amount of fun.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Really one of the most beautiful fish in the sea.

Well done,and thanks for the wonderfull pics.

Just goes to proove that not all the Sharks in Dubai are not land based.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659