Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cute trick to tie off thorax

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    What is the point of this tie down? To hide thread behind bead? If so I can still see the thread btw. And it's an additional step??

But will try it when I tie off again thanks.
    My view, tie to hold.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Much more durable than a whip. Grant showed this to me some time back, I have used it ever since, and never had a fly unravel on me. I use waxed dental floss for the pull through, it slides nice and easily.
    I am definately going to try the dental floss! Thanks for the tip dude!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I always wrap 5000 times to keep the bead in place. Another step or 2 for me or a wrap here or there on a sinking fly does not bug me too much. But now seeing this method, has changed my thinking, much neater, for me and the fish. Better confidence as well. Dankie!!
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Basically the same method used to secure winding thread when doing wraps on a rod. Nice to see it used like this - will give it a go forsure. Also nice for dries - I don't like a super large head on them.

Thanks Grant
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Basically the same method used to secure winding thread when doing wraps on a rod. Nice to see it used like this - will give it a go forsure. Also nice for dries - I don't like a super large head on them.

Thanks Grant
    Not so easy for dries hey.... more difficult for para dries. not impossible, but not easy.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Not so easy for dries hey.... more difficult for para dries. not impossible, but not easy.
    Will give it a go and see. Can't imagine that it would be much more difficult than for nymphs, but as I have not tried it I cannot say for sure. Picking up a new vice this morning, so super keen to try it out this weekend.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario I'd love to hear how it goes. I have only used this on nymphs with beads but can't see why it couldn't be used on any types of flies.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3