Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Recipes

Smile conservationists fish curry

ingredients
    one third cup sunflower oil
    1 tin lucky star pilchards (not hot one)
    2 fresh green chillies, stalk removed but not cut open if you want a milder curry, (i need the heat so dish them in my plate and seeds don't kill guests)
    (4 chillies if the death of the pilchards bugs you, so you can get back at guests)
    1 large onion chopped
    10 curry leaves
    3 med cloves garlic chopped fine
    half a level teaspoon jeera seeds
    half a level teaspoon black mustard seeds
    2cm piece chopped fine ginger (fresh)
    2 bay leaves
    3 cardomans
    1 heaped tablespoon med curry powder. i got mine in durbs from "rookie ma"
    1 piece of cinamon, not the whole rounded pod thing, just a nice section
    3 med tomatoes, ripe ones chopped small
    1 tsp jeera powder
    1 bunch fresh coriander (leaves chopped and washed)
    1 heaped teaspoon garum masala
    5 drops lemon juice from the concentrate bottle
    3 boiled eggs halved lengthways
    method:
    heat oil in pot, put in mustard and jeera seeds, when they pop, put in onions, garlic, curry leaves, ginger, chillies, cinamon... stir till onoins golden. put in curry powder and now be careful as it can catch. stir continously for approx 1 min to release the powder flavour, you'll smell the diff. put in chopped tomatoes and all the juice as well. put stove on simmer. add cardomans, bay leaf, jeera, salt. i tilt the lid slightly to catch the juice. you want the tomatoes to make your juice. you can put a bit of water if you want but check the pot so it's not too liquid. do tomatoes 20 min. add tin fish, take sharp knife cut each fish in half carefully and from now on don't stir. shake the pot. we don't want to break the fish into small pieces. add lemon juice and boiled eggs your pot must cook but not "vroom". get it? approx 40 min with the fish in. add coriander leaves, still not stirring for about 5min
    put in garum masala and before serving, one final stir.
    serve with rice. whatever i left out just moer in and is cool. cardomans taste poof if you bite them so try get them out before dishing.
    ask my friends... they phone ahead for this dish.
    all who have eaten from this dish, advocate catch and release and we spin a coin for who catches....(opens the tin)..... and who releases....(throws it away) .
    this is a friggin good chow. i, like you, thought tin fish was only for the guy cutting the lawn on the weekend. mmmmm
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Default hehehe

LOL im getting all the ingredients tomorrow my wife can do the catch and the release.

report back......wrapped in tin foil on the braai.abit of salt and pepper.stuffed with thyme and parsley.rubbed butter and abit of garlic on the outside.not to shabby at all.and i managed to get a lady friend of mine to taste a piece and she isnt much of a fish eater.thanks for the help guys....

as for promoting catch and release....i think some of us need to relax abit.98% of any fish i catch get returned.i think the recipe idea is great.who wants to take out a fish and cook it and it tastes k@k.atleast now you know if you take it out the guys can help you make sure that it is not wasted......
    Last edited by swsmith; 17-04-07 at 10:00 AM.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

[QUOTE=gkieser;20528]Ja but they taste like ***! The river ones are much tastier.

Early season Smalblaar trout are particularly tasty!

mmm - very lemony...
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi,
    Found out after smoking trout, remove meat and flake, add 1 x tub Mascapponi, 1/2 tub chunky Cream Cheese, cut in some dill, add Aromat to taste....fantastic pate for your fresh trout, magic with some salty cracks

Barry
    Barry Mycock
    Pietermaritzburg

That sounds a good recipe. Just need to find some available salty cracks to enjoy that with me over a glass or two or of Sauv Blanc

It's 10 to four now I getting hungry reading all this

Talking Trout

The best trout i'v tasted... My Dads way
    Sripinke, with salt and peper, leamonjuice, butter add a bit of Garlic.
    Wrap in tin foil. and Braai... Then eat it with some Freash Hot brown bread. Mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post
    The best trout i'v tasted... My Dads way
    Sripinke, with salt and peper, leamonjuice, butter add a bit of Garlic.
    Wrap in tin foil. and Braai... Then eat it with some Freash Hot brown bread. Mmmm
    Elize I make it the same way and it tops anything out there. I also add some chopped onion which is awesome.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast