Thread: Nubile Damsel SBS

Default Nubile Damsel SBS

So I designed this little pattern for the Nationals in KZN last year - I tied for the pools on the river beats. I got savaged the day I was testing it and it snapped of, so I never really developed much confidence with it. (That’s why you should always tie more than one ) In my last session on the hardest stillwater beat, with about 15 minutes to go, I remembered the little guy and gave him a swim - you guessed it, I went 'INSIDE'! That 1 fish got me a second for the session. Its been changed a bit from the original which was olive with orange eyes. I though I would share it with you guys - please let me know if you use it and it get any fish!

I call it the Nubile Damsel after its... well... 'Boobies'.

(Please excuse the photo quality, they are taken with my phone as my camera is probably still floating around in the Indian Ocean.)

Tying instructions assume right handed tier:
    Hook: Knapek Wet Fly size 8
    Thread: Danvilles 14/0 Sheer, Black
    Tail: Marabou, Black
    Body: Marabou, Black
    Rib: Kreinik Flash , Blue (or subsitute)
    Head: Black seal, black rabbit, blue spectra & peacock spectra dubbing blend
    Eyes: 3mm foam cylinders, Orange

Step 1:
    Mount hook in vice and tie in. Wrap back to just before the bend and add a thread bump.
    Attachment 10496

Step 2: Cut of about 1cm of marabou (1cm along the stem of the feather) and tie in with the tail about the length of the hook and secure with 3 turns. DO NOT TRIM THE MARABOU!
    Attachment 10497

Step 3:
    Tie in the rib and wrap the thread forward to the eye without trapping the marabou.
    Attachment 10498

Step 4: Twist the marabou as shown and wrap to the eye and secure. Trim excess.
    Attachment 10499

Step 5: Wrap the rib forward in the opposite direction that you wrapped the marabou and secure.
    Attachment 10500

Step 6: Tie in and secure the booby eyes.
    Attachment 10501

Step 7: Mix up some dubbing.
    Attachment 10502

Step 8: Dub a sparse figure 8 around the eyes and tie off.
    Attachment 10503

Step 9:
    Make sure you tie up more than one!
    Attachment 10504
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 19-10-11 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Started using Knapek Wet fly hooks as opposed to Lake hooks.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Nice fly bro, you prepping like mad hey
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Nice fly bro, you prepping like mad hey
    Two A4 boxes done, one to go! Im running out of hooks!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

I can vouch for this fly's effectiveness.

Has become a little must have in my box.
    The micro booby eyes, gives it almost neutral boyancy, perfect
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Two A4 boxes done, one to go! Im running out of hooks!
    Might need you to be my boat partner
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Nice fly Maddy.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Very nice and thanks for the SBS boet
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Maddy, any booby on a fast sink is deadly, but like this tie.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I really like this fly. How would / do you fish this fly Matt? Fast sinker Booby style?

It started as a river fly (for the pools in KZN), so i fished it on a Di3-7 with a slow figure 8 on the bottom. I haven't really fished it in the Cape, as the rivers generally flow a lot faster and I prefer a fly with weight to get down to the bottom quickly.

Since that Nationals session I mentioned in the first post, Ive tried it out on a few dams with some mixed results. I find I struggle to fish it effectively on the drift boats unless there is no wind and Im fishing an Inter over the weeds. It doesn't deal to well with the speed. If you are on the bank its a different story - I picked up 2 fish in about 5 mins at Eikendal earlier this month. That was on a Di3, with 2 unweighted nymphs and the Damsel on point - killer! I generally just fish it like I would any other Damsel pattern - Slowly. Slower lines and figure 8 retrieves.

Also, Its such a light fly, it works best on the lightest tippet you can get away with. The movement/wobble that you get from the eyes is key.
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 19-10-11 at 09:43 PM.