Thread: Cambridge in New Zealand

Default Cambridge in New Zealand

Hi All.
    A luckey bastard friend of mine is going on exchange to Cambridge in New Zealand. What sort of fishing is there in the area? He will apparently be near Lake Rotorua. Any fish there? What sort of flies should he tie for whatever fishing there is there?

Thanks
    Dave
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Roturua is in the heart of trout country....
    Lots of fishing in the lake, and many streams around there.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Thanks.
    I'm not hearing the end of that big fish my friend is going to take.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Hi. I have not ventured onto the North Island but I have fished much of the South island. New Zealand is notorious for offering some of the best trout fishing on the planet but also the hardest. These trout are very picky and I have spent hours casting various patterns to uninterested trout. He must defiantly head to Lake Taupo (central North Island) which is the biggest lake in NZ and produces a constant flow of trophy fish. If he will bag a trout or two if he fished inlets to the lake with a fast sinking line and smelt (small, thin, clear fish 3 cm long) imitation with a medium erratic retrieve. He will find big browns deep down around and structures. I landed my biggest brown yet on a large taddy with an extremely slow retrieve.

The rivers also provide some challenging fishing. Nymph fishing upstream proves a successful tactic but don’t forget the strike indicator. I also recommend he uses split shot as the bigger fish lurk deep in the pools. One must use extremely light tipped as the rivers are extremely clear and the fish will spook easily.

Buy loads of flies in SA because they costs $ 3 down under for a small fly, that is almost R20 each, the foliage around the rivers are well know for devouring countless flies

Good luck to him

Luke
    Last edited by snoobab; 13-06-11 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks for the info. Cheaper to tie flies though.

I live in Hamilton, 20 mins from Cambridge. Close to Cambridge you have the Waikato river and lake Karapiro, that can both fish very well. Not far away are the South Waikato spring creeks, with lots of willing rainbows and the odd big brown. Over the Kaimais is Rotorua with its miriad of lakes. Cambridge is not a bad place to be...

I'm happy to point your friend in the right direction when he arrives. PM me if interested.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album