Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nile Perch - Lake Nasser

Default Nile Perch - Lake Nasser

For the past month or so I have been playing with the idea of doing a trip for these bad boys. I have read as much as I can find and after having a chat with Jonathan Boulton today I am now 95% convinced that I am going to do it. I plan on going in 2013 as I need some time to save and buy some new gear.

Has anyone here been on one of these trips? Any first hand experience would be great.

BTW, he showed me the section from Soulfish 2 that was filmed on one of his trips there. HUGE fish cruising the shallows in clear water is enough to get anyone lus. Or as Sarah Boulton said to me, "When you see it in person you will sh1t yourself . . . "
    Last edited by schloshd1; 20-06-11 at 08:54 PM.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Andrew, Sarah is spot on. I have coverage of Malcolm Meintjies and crew that did a BELLS series on SABC some years back. Awesome ff and picks, close encounters from rocky drop-offs with 40 kg fish within 10 metres, sight fishing.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

And Tangyanika?

Schlossie, I hate to disturb your peace, but take the time to have a look at Murchison Falls for Nile Perch. More of an adventure and more feisty fish, but less room for your back cast.

Thanks Dave, deposits for 2013 are not being taken until early next year so I still have some time to make the final decision.
    Andrew Schlosser

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    Thanks Dave, deposits for 2013 are not being taken until early next year so I still have some time to make the final decision.
    Then do some homework on Tanzania

if you're looking for fly ideas, have a look at the pike flies on the net...

i checked them out earlier, and they are big, bold and look deadly. i reckon the niles will chow them...some relly nice ideas to be found

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    if you're looking for fly ideas, have a look at the pike flies on the net...

i checked them out earlier, and they are big, bold and look deadly. i reckon the niles will chow them...some relly nice ideas to be found
    Schlossie showed me his first few Nile Perch flies today. This man can tie a fly believe me. But 2 years in advance ??????

Die man is bef@kked met Nile perch:eek

Amper so MAL as Gerrit
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Schlossie showed me his first few Nile Perch flies today. This man can tie a fly believe me. But 2 years in advance ??????

Die man is bef@kked met Nile perch:eek

Amper so MAL as Gerrit
    Andrew, always wondered why ff go to all corners of the earth in search for big fish when we here in Africa boast size (nile perch) and stamina (tigers), not not to mention catfish species locally, or Goliath tiger on our doorstep. Then again on African shorelines, massive elf(shad), leerie and also the power of the shallows beating the bonefish with size, the ultimate Tarpon.

On the East coast, game fish from sailfish, tuna, billfish assorted including broadbill, now thats fishing in its own class.

Dont need to ''punt'' our local species further, if you dont get it here, you'll never get it.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Herman, I'm glad that you at least said "Amper"

Hi Dave, the great thing about this trip is that is reasonably affordable compared to the more "exotic" trips for bones, tarpon etc. And besides the perch it has tigers, vundu and some super size kurper (Nile Tilapia).
    Andrew Schlosser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast