Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legendary fish stories

Default Legendary fish stories

I think it would be a nice thing to pay tribute to some of the legendary fish from our past and try to keep these lovely stories alive before they are forever lost in the mists of time.

Perhaps it would also be a good idea to share some of our own experiences of big fish seen, lost, re-captured or released? Let's hear all the stories of that all elusive fish that becomes known for it's extreme prowess, the one that time and time again pushing us to the extreme limits of our wits and becomes the sole inhabitant of our thoughts, sleepless nights and much procrastination.....the ultimate fish! This is how legends begin!

'Palmiet Piet'

An extract from 'Trout in the kloofs' reads as follows:

In Piscator No. 13. p. 23, March 1950, appeared an excellent photo of the Palmiet Pool by Colin Kisch- "famous for its large brown trout, but very few are landed, as they are very shy in the clear water and fine tackle is necessary. Those hooked are usually lost when they run under the palmiet rush clumps in deep water".

The fame of 'Palmiet Piet' was by then firmly established - an unbeatable tackle-buster! In Piscator No. 37, p. 37, September 1956, his fate was recorded. Master S.J.R. Goetz caught him, and this was his very first trout! But, alas! Piet was in his last stages of decline; 25 inches long, weighing only three and a half pounds, C.F. 23, with jaws scarred with hook marks.

A few months back a friend and myself visited a still water in the Kamberg Valley. The trip allowed us two full days of fishing and we were extremely excited! Apon arriving we were told that over the last few days there had been some decent fish caught and this got our hopes up(Needless to say a cold front had just moved in).

Within about 10 minutes of fishing i was into my first fish,a beautiful cock fish of around 1,5kgs and this we thought would be the start of 2 days of awesome fishing but we where pleasantly suprised. Over the next two days we struggled to catch and had turned our fly boxes upside in an attempt to try and catch something. Needless to say we where both lucky enough to get one or two but nothing like what we had been told about apon our arrival. We did place some of the blame on the turn in the weather and the sudden drop in temperature.

So the night before we were due to leave we got some rain and awoke the next morning to a beautiful sunny day. So i decided fish from my float tube and target the inlet were the water was flowing a lot stronger then the days before. After about two or three casts i was in,nice hen of about 1,5kgs and it just got better from there. For the next hour or so i proceeded to land another two fish,the second just breaching the 2kg mark and the third being my biggest fish to date of around 3,5kgs. All the while my mate sat watching me from the side with a look on his face as if to say "This just aint cricket". He didnt have the best trip landing around 2 or 3 fish all only around 600grams and i got 4 really decent fish one being my biggest to date. So i suppose sometimes luck sits on your shoulder and other times it doesnt! Thats one trip i wont forget for many years to come!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    A few months back a friend and myself visited a still water in the Kamberg Valley. The trip allowed us two full days of fishing and we were extremely excited! Apon arriving we were told that over the last few days there had been some decent fish caught and this got our hopes up(Needless to say a cold front had just moved in).

Within about 10 minutes of fishing i was into my first fish,a beautiful cock fish of around 1,5kgs and this we thought would be the start of 2 days of awesome fishing but we where pleasantly suprised. Over the next two days we struggled to catch and had turned our fly boxes upside in an attempt to try and catch something. Needless to say we where both lucky enough to get one or two but nothing like what we had been told about apon our arrival. We did place some of the blame on the turn in the weather and the sudden drop in temperature.

So the night before we were due to leave we got some rain and awoke the next morning to a beautiful sunny day. So i decided fish from my float tube and target the inlet were the water was flowing a lot stronger then the days before. After about two or three casts i was in,nice hen of about 1,5kgs and it just got better from there. For the next hour or so i proceeded to land another two fish,the second just breaching the 2kg mark and the third being my biggest fish to date of around 3,5kgs. All the while my mate sat watching me from the side with a look on his face as if to say "This just aint cricket". He didnt have the best trip landing around 2 or 3 fish all only around 600grams and i got 4 really decent fish one being my biggest to date. So i suppose sometimes luck sits on your shoulder and other times it doesnt! Thats one trip i wont forget for many years to come!
    Precious moments hey! The memory of those fish will stay with you forever too....priceless stuff that no amount of money could ever buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Precious moments hey! The memory of those fish will stay with you forever too....priceless stuff that no amount of money could ever buy!
    Thats for sure and i remember it like it happened yesterday! Just like the mastercard advert says "there are some things money cant buy" well these experiences are a perfect example!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

My thoughts have been consumed this week by a fish I lost last weekend, one of the biggest I have seen in more than 35 years on the streams. My Zimbo mate who was fishing 100 metres downstream of me heard the splash when that fish jumped, throwing the hook back at me at the same time. I will not rest until I catch that fish and I will be back for him soon!

Neil had a similar experience. His fish was too heavy to contain, and despite a valiant affort to keep the fish from heading into some submerged branches (see photo titled 'Rowe's dilema' in gallery), the fish won the battle. I am sure Neil has been playing the sequence of events over and over in his mind too! Now, this is what it is all about.....I think!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 19-10-06 at 10:53 AM.

Two seasons ago we used to always see a pig of a fish in cave pool at the start of elands 4, but we only tempted him once. He was acompanied by another fish that was smaller but would still be classed as a great fish by cape stream standards.

There are two large rocks to the right of the flow that comes around the big rock at the head of the pool and these two fish were never too far away from the crack between those two rocks. Often when we hooked smaller fish in the pool these two guys would come and investigate what the kids were up to before heading back to the top and taking up their stations.

A fishing buddy of mine once got a "chase" (as in leerie) from one of these two fish at the end of the day's fishing when he decided to have one last crack at them. He approached from the big rock at the head of the pool and casted a DDD across the inlet flow, and at the end of a drift my buddy stripped the line in to cast again and one of these two fish blasted out and chased the fly, but my buddy was too fast and lifted the DDD off the water before Caveman Piet (as we started calling him) managed to get to it. It devastated both of us for a while after that.

Last season I did not see either of those fish in the cave pool and I have yet to venture up there this season, so perhaps they have moved on.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Default The Hunyani River Monster

Not fly fishing but a good example of a fish becoming a legend! About 30 years ago my family would often fish the Hunyani river about 10k's from it's entry into Lake McKilwayne, Harare, Zimbabwe.
    In those days there were still Tigerfish in this stretch of the river and we would target them with 20lb line and bream fillet as bait. In a deep pool near some reeds lived the Hunyani monster.
    Some of those who hooked it swear it was an eel, others the mother of all catfish, but nobody could say for sure as it was never landed! 20lb, then 40lb and finally 60lb line would be snapped off like cotton after a run of 50 - 100yards!
    The years have never dulled the fond memories of that place and the monster.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

There is a seriously decent brown on Witte 5 that I have unfinished business with. By all accounts, this brown has a 6th sense, in fact, probably a 7th. He is always in his pool- I have seen him every time- yet no matter how stealthily you approach he sees you before you have even had the opportunity to cast! The only conclusion that I can come to is that he must have a pair of eyes on his tail- cause he freaks out and swims all over the pool even when you approach him from behind. As yet, I have not made one cast to him, but one day, oh one day, when the opportunity arises, he'll be fooled...

(And nevermind his mate in the same pool- Grant and myself witnessed him breach out of the water onto a rock and grab a frog, then proceed to flap around on the rock until he fell back into the water- like a killer whale taking a seal off the beach!)

Eish, that pool haunts me...
    Last edited by KevinC; 19-10-06 at 12:00 PM. Reason: '

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Two seasons ago we used to always see a pig of a fish in cave pool at the start of elands 4, but we only tempted him once. He was acompanied by another fish that was smaller but would still be classed as a great fish by cape stream standards.

There are two large rocks to the right of the flow that comes around the big rock at the head of the pool and these two fish were never too far away from the crack between those two rocks. Often when we hooked smaller fish in the pool these two guys would come and investigate what the kids were up to before heading back to the top and taking up their stations.

A fishing buddy of mine once got a "chase" (as in leerie) from one of these two fish at the end of the day's fishing when he decided to have one last crack at them. He approached from the big rock at the head of the pool and casted a DDD across the inlet flow, and at the end of a drift my buddy stripped the line in to cast again and one of these two fish blasted out and chased the fly, but my buddy was too fast and lifted the DDD off the water before Caveman Piet (as we started calling him) managed to get to it. It devastated both of us for a while after that.

Last season I did not see either of those fish in the cave pool and I have yet to venture up there this season, so perhaps they have moved on.
    Maybe someone tickled them to death Grant!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast