Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarens

Default Clarens

Hi there, I have made a few posts over the years but have been inactive for a while. So here's an introduction:

I'm a 25 year old, extremely keen fly fisherman. At the moment I make my money as an engineer and fly fish in my spare time - of which there is very little. One day I intend on, some way or another, making my money from fly-fishing and hence finding very little time to do anything else.

Anyways I've got a couple questions about my next destination : Clarens.

i'm heading to Afriski in lesotho to do some snowboarding near the end of july and after that will be spending two days in clarens doing some fishing - My two absolute favourite things to do, What a weekend its going to be.

I know there are some threads on Clarens already, but none that are very up to date.
    Have any of you fished in Clarens in 2011 or heard which dams are fishing well lately?

Iv read two reports from 2011 from craigrossie saying its not like it used to be?
    Then I've come across people saying zaaihoek no longer exists?
    What about Townlands Dam?

Also is it too cold in the middle of winter in Clarens or will this not affect the trout too much?

I've never been to Clarens and so any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craigrossie has still got good fish but its hard to get the fly in ther right spots from the bank due to all the weed.If you have a float tube you shopuld do well.The river section at demolen has produced some really good fish this year already and if water levels are goodf i would make that my number one choice if there.I might also be there at that time,will keep in touch.Those are the only places i have been to.

mark Banned User

De molen is closed july and august for the trout to spawn.

Oh okay, I don't have a float tube but am planning on buying one so i might do that before my trip. (Anyone selling a 2nd hand float tube in decent condition? )

Ja if you're there around that time it would be great for me to fish with someone who knows the area a bit. If you're keen of course. I'll be there 24th and 25th july

FlyFanatic Banned User

Hi there,

Was at Clarens this weekend, fished for a few hours on Sunday morning at Craigrossie, what friendly and delightfull people the hosts are!

They had people staying in the cottages so I only fished the bottom dam, didnt see any fish, swimming, rising, nothing. Water also was quite murkey for a trout dam?? The cold wind picked up at around 10 o clock, that made things kinda unpleasant, luckily it died down a while later.

Anyways, lovely venue, would definitely want to go back and stay there for a couple of nights!

Hope this helps!

Regards

Jaco

Fished there at the beginning of the year. caught 1 small stocky in the bottom dam. plenty plenty carp in there and hence the murky water. fished the top dam from a boat but with no luck.

fished a private section of the river and all i can say is that it was unbelieavable.

my recomendations are to go out of spawning season and fish the river

Hi.

I spoke to Andre a little while back at Present a Fly in Bethlehem and he told me that they stoked the Townsland dam quite well recently, so that should be a good option as well.

Will also be in Afri ski on the 23rd for the day! Hopefully there will be enough snow for my bakkie to play in...

Q

i have fished CRossie for the past 3-4years n feel the need to say that its NOT what it used to be ! ... more carp than trout .. weeds have taken over the dams .. i think, they dont stock as often ... dunno .. but deff nit wat it used to be !

Hi Sam

I have a Eplorer V boat that i willing to part with.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the advice guys, JAG iv sent you a PM. the above posts have certainly put me off craigrossie, as nice as it looks. So I think i might try townlands dam. Quintin are you from the area?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast