Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clarens

I have caught one or two "golden trout" before but nothing that made my eyes sore like this bugger taken at craigrossi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

Nice albino there John. Did you spot him, or fish "blind"?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I actually spotted him.cast a few flies his way and no sucess.Left and came back later the afternoon.Put on a tan dragon tied on size 10.Spotted him again and cast a long line his way.He grabbed the fly as soon as it hit the water.Fights quite hard these albinos.

Hi Guys ,
    Fished Townsland Dam for the 1st time yesterday ,fished during the afternoon without any success. wind was puping without any visible fish rising or feeding. zero caught but was still a lekka day on the water. Any1 else with any reviews on the Townsland dam or other Clarens venues ?

I fished De Molen and the town dam last week. Water is very low in the river and the fish was in cover. You had to get your fly drifting right into the cover to get the bite. Took a few fish over the 3 days with 8 in an afternoon being the best. Best fish was 2-3 pounds cock. Dam is freshly stocked and produced 4 fish in a morning's fishing. All in all a good break from the grind of work.
    Blikoor,

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Well done ! Nyc to have a report on Clarens. What technique and flyies were used on river n dam ? pics of ur catch will b nyc

Hi Vis&Chips,
    On the river I had a hopper on my line and my son a NZ rig. So we fished the water with the one we thought were suited best to the pool. The hopper was extremely succesfull during midday, with the nymphs takin honours early and late in the day. Flashback and hotspot nymphs in #14 and smaller took most, but the bigger fish was taken on the #10 beadhead PTN dropper. It reminded me a bit of bass fishing as the fish was tight in cover with the low water. A hopper drifted tight up to the reeds was ignored, but one cast into the pockets of the reeds was jumped upon. Same with the nymphs - you had to drift it into the cover (overhangs, grass, undercuts).

We fished the dam with sinking lines, catwhiskers and buggers. We look/felt for grass beds and when we found them, preserverance at that spot normally was rewarded with a fish or two.
    Last edited by Blikoor; 15-10-12 at 10:29 AM.
    Blikoor,

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Quick report on De molen,near Clarens
    I fished it on Friday at around 12 the afternoon.The water was slightly off colour and flowing nicely after the rains.After struggling for a bit i managed a beaut of a cock fish at around 2 on a blue flashback nymph.i decided to change to a dry and started rising fish off the bottom and landing a few more nice fish,nothing big though but great sport.
    I returned sunday at around 2pm and the water was low and very very clear.I started staright away with the dry (size16 humpy) and started near the farm house and walked for a very very far way past in the direction of Golden gate.
    Here the river really gets clear and thin with good pools.I manged 4 very nice fish and lost quite a few in the fight.I expected better though as this section is hardly fished and is a serious bundubash to get around there.
    I headed back to one of my favourite pools and got there just in time for a serious hatch and preceded to catch around 12 fish in and around that area,more towards clarens side.
    The fish are really very good condition,fight like absolute demons for their size.Loved every second with the 3wt in slightly lustery conditions.
    The biggest fish was around 13 inches

nice report Core Fly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123