Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Bo-vlakte

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    He bought them as fingerlings and raised them in a net in the dam, as he does with all his other fish, then after they are about 1kg he puts them in the dams.
    Thanks, Dewald does he pellet feed them whilst they in the net?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Thanks, Dewald does he pellet feed them whilst they in the net?
    As far as I know yes, but there is obviosly allot of algea groth on the net which atracts insects and they will also feed on that.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I mean that it is quite clear cut that you cannot compare a wild animal to an animal born en bred in a zoo - kinda think this is the point of the whole steelhead debate.
    I reckon...if you take a Tiger in the wild, and go irritate him...he's gonna f**k you up...

Now, take a Tiger born in a zoo, that was fed all his life, and go f**k with him too...

Somehow I think the end result will be the same. On both accounts you are going to get SERIOUSLY dead.

whats this thread got to do with tigers?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    As far as I know yes, but there is obviosly allot of algea groth on the net which atracts insects and they will also feed on that.
    So any trout over 2kg is seriously fit and healthy anyway, having to have fend for himself for a year or two already. I reckon it's all good. Who frikkin cares if he feeds them pellets.

At Millstream, there are about 9 dams (I think). All of them are stocked, and all are never fed...except two, the trophy dams. So you have a choice...go fish the smaller stocked dams for some good fun, and smaller (under 1.5kg) fish...go fish some of the bigger dams (like Lake Millstream) where the fish are not fed, very wild, and difficult to entice...or go fish the trophy dams, which are quite big, and the fish are fed and can attain sizes over 5kg. I've caught fish in those dams on damsel and dragon nymphs, dry flies, small mayfly nymphs, the lot. So the fish MUST be feeding naturally most times...but when the pellets fall on the water they say "thank you! Easy meal". That's when I slap on a BIG DDD and smack a few really big ones! Good fun...and then it's over, go back to fishing "normal" flies.
    And so what.

Even the Troutbagger thread...it's actually getting old now. Who cares if he feeds or doesn't. I dunno why everyone gets their nickers in a knot about it. If you don't like fishing dams where fish are fed, then don't. Simple.
    I personally like the challenge of big lakes, where they don't feed fish. The fish are nice and full-finned and in beautiful condition, and more challenging to fool and catch. But, if I get a chance one day to fish a trophy dam where the owner feeds the trout steroid-injected Monster Energy pellets...I will not say no.

Like most of the guys will tell the owner: "Nooo Boet...I don't like catching pellet-fed trout"...and then pack their rods up and leave (while the guy next to him just caught a 6kg trout that revved him).
    Yeah right...

Hey, I agree. For once you talking sense...Michael. Kidding hey, but yes, if the stockie ponds feed the fish pellets, you can catch them by matching the hatch, with a Spekboom prawn, DDD, or something. Sometimes you just have to splash the water to bring them to a frenzy, drop a fly and hey..on. But, it's not the kind of fishing that I'm going to take a camera to, or post it on the list of the words most technical catches. In fact, if I ever have to go to these places, I seldom unpack my rods, but there are some peole who enjoy it, and these places fill a valuable gap in the market. having said all this..... It's all down to the types of location you choose to fish in. I dare you to try it on the Cape streams for a day, and see how many trout you get.......
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hey, I agree. For once you talking sense...Michael. Kidding hey, but yes, if the stockie ponds feed the fish pellets, you can catch them by matching the hatch, with a Spekboom prawn, DDD, or something. Sometimes you just have to splash the water to bring them to a frenzy, drop a fly and hey..on. But, it's not the kind of fishing that I'm going to take a camera to, or post it on the list of the words most technical catches. In fact, if I ever have to go to these places, I seldom unpack my rods, but there are some peole who enjoy it, and these places fill a valuable gap in the market. having said all this..... It's all down to the types of location you choose to fish in. I dare you to try it on the Cape streams for a day, and see how many trout you get.......
    Kinda what i was trying to get to, some people enjoy it and others like myself dont.

I am sure there are a lot of people that really enjoy the place and i see nothing wrong with that, i just prefer catching wild trout!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Thank goodness we have purists - otherwise public venues will get overrun.

I was a Dunkeld Estate 2 weeks back. I was not gonna unpack my rods - I'm trying to get my "purist" accredition - but had to because the kids wanted to fish.(does that count?)
    back to my story : the water in the "upsteam ponds" are Crystal Clear(in the top pond you can see every fish and they can see you - this made for interesting sight fishing. The other ponds/dams are close behind in clarity and you can sight fish exclusively if you want to.This being an easy public venue -I don't think you're allowed to call 7x & # 16-20 patterns "technical fishing" as these fished gets fed(stomach pump). I stole a few moments between chasing kids around the dams and did some "casting practise" (if I'm not "really" fishing does it count?)

Here's where it gets interesting. On the Monday (the weekend crowd has left) , Dad breaks down and decide to fish seriously for a few hours. Aaaagh ! there goes my purist badge - nevermind , I lost my flyfishing credibility a while back(I blobbed).
    I get to the water and there is fish rising in all the dams. Ah , I know what they're on ( # 22 olive midge pupa & black midge adult)as if been through this plenty before. This fishing is as Wallington would put it -"tough but rewarding". Besides its stockies & I'm gonna drill' 'em ....>
    Last edited by flybum; 03-08-10 at 03:22 PM.

continue...3 hours later and I'm about to cry these fish are cruising all over the place sipping black midge off the surface with complete reckless abandon. They would cruise 2 rodlenghts away from me (who is casting frantically) without a worry in the world and happily sip the midge right next to my pattern. The scene is simmilar to a caenis hatch - only the fish are cruising deeper and rising purposefully to the adult. They pulled "sterkie refusals " on my patterns.I'm at my witts end as I've gone through # 20 cdc harrop midge / 20 shuttlecock / 20 mosquito - I gave up with 7x & # 22 mosquito.Are you allowed to give up on stockies?
    Anyway I got 2 goood Browns and 5 other fish - but only 1 fish(brown) ate the dry as it should've - the other ate a # 20 midge pupa below or a small Rat Face McDougal ( I broke down and tried to unmatch yhe hatch with a terrestrial). I stomach pumped every single fish and they were all Full of a black fly #18-20. BUT this was not a midge - there was no hatch after all ..>

..> the fly was a type of GNAT ? BLACK FLY ? BIBIO ? SMUT ? which lived in the surrounding wattle forest and dropped on the water via a light breeze.
    Never in my time spend flyfishing have I been so utterly & completely outwitted by such a horde of fish. I'm sure those buggers took delight in my misery.Not even the stress and suffering during a caenis hatch came close.
    Now I'm sure the "wild trout only" brigade would confirm that one should not even bother whith these fish ( I did make the mistake of unpacking my rods - so the damage was done) as they are simply stockies ,for goodness sake , and just toooo easy.

Just goes to show --- fish are fish(wild or otherwise) and if you think you are superior to instinct and mother nature , you've fooled yourself not the fish.

BTW - I was so infuriated by thos fish that i let my Kids loose on them . LALA(4 yrs) slapped a kyped cock on an orange Fritz & Luka (8 yrs) belted a stockie on a black bugger in quick succession. After that I felt justified and cruised into Dullies for breakfast.
    Last edited by flybum; 03-08-10 at 03:18 PM.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast