Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Bo-vlakte

Nice to have University archives
    Go read this on the "South African Steelhead":

http://researchspace.csir.co.za/dspa...%20Cape_16.pdf

Try Page 30 - point 4.2.5

you can;t check steelhead or golden off yoru list, thats just stupid. you never caught one. You caught some fish not fit to even survive, mislabled for marketing purposes. Is this what fly fishing is about to you?

Its cool if you are just into catching a fish, and a fish is a fish to you, but don;t go telling people you caught a steelhead in SA, because the day you hook a steelhead, you will no longer have to have this talk. steelhead are mean, fast, and will break you before you can blink. i hear yellowfish can fight, but id wager a whole bunch they would never stand up to a steelhead.

Steelhead don't deserve this, so please stop. They are too good a fish to be tossed around as side catch on some tiny dam. call them hatchery rainbow mutants, as that is what they are. just like those "Golden Trout".

I hiked 26 miles over 2 days with 7 days rations on my back up to a series of tiny mountain lakes at 14000 plus feet to catch my goldens, so don't say you have caught a golden, because unless you have done the work, you don't deserve it. there are very very few anglers in the world who catch goldens, they are not easy, so again stop! call it a hatchery mutant, maybe a big hatchery mutant, but thats what it is.

and every fish in those pics is a small brown trout. brown with spots and halos like you described to me are brown trout. where the hell does this crap come from anyway? I used to want to fish at this place, but with morals like these, i think ill leave it for others to fish.

Goudvis *tick*

Hi
    Charl at Jonkershoek has booked Bo-vlakte for a weekend, so if you would like to go along, get hold of him.
    Weekend 20-22 august, anyone welcome, Jonkershoek club members get a discount.
    charl@jonkershoek.co.za
    Last edited by ArcherFish; 30-07-10 at 08:41 AM. Reason: remove quote
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Interesting stuff, thanks guys!

Without myself getting overly pedantic on this, were the fish netted off Muizenberg - 'bows (i.e. steelheads) - or brownies (i.e. sea trout)?

I still havn't got around to re-researching my old books but it's all good historic stuff to inquire and to be inquisitive about - even if the actual facts may have been a tad diluted by time and overly fond memories/diary insertions.

In this day and age where we are all so spoilt 's'-less with ultra high tech equipment and technology, it's good to get back to the fireside discussions on recollections and other subjective unquantifiable trivia...
    Chris

There were both. At one time the Eerste had browns and rainbows. Not sure about the Lourens. I have read a report (in an old Piscator) of a brown being caught at sea as well. Not sure if it was at Fishoek or the Strand.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Not sure if it was at Fishoek or the Strand.
    How far is Bo-Vlakte from this?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

You and some other forumers really need to unclamp those cheeks.

BTW, well done on your achievement in catching those gold fish.

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    you can;t check steelhead or golden off yoru list, thats just stupid. you never caught one. You caught some fish not fit to even survive, mislabled for marketing purposes. Is this what fly fishing is about to you?

Its cool if you are just into catching a fish, and a fish is a fish to you, but don;t go telling people you caught a steelhead in SA, because the day you hook a steelhead, you will no longer have to have this talk. steelhead are mean, fast, and will break you before you can blink. i hear yellowfish can fight, but id wager a whole bunch they would never stand up to a steelhead.

Steelhead don't deserve this, so please stop. They are too good a fish to be tossed around as side catch on some tiny dam. call them hatchery rainbow mutants, as that is what they are. just like those "Golden Trout".

I hiked 26 miles over 2 days with 7 days rations on my back up to a series of tiny mountain lakes at 14000 plus feet to catch my goldens, so don't say you have caught a golden, because unless you have done the work, you don't deserve it. there are very very few anglers in the world who catch goldens, they are not easy, so again stop! call it a hatchery mutant, maybe a big hatchery mutant, but thats what it is.

and every fish in those pics is a small brown trout. brown with spots and halos like you described to me are brown trout. where the hell does this crap come from anyway? I used to want to fish at this place, but with morals like these, i think ill leave it for others to fish.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Chris

There were both. At one time the Eerste had browns and rainbows. Not sure about the Lourens. I have read a report (in an old Piscator) of a brown being caught at sea as well. Not sure if it was at Fishoek or the Strand.
    Thanks for the info, Neil, very interesting

Cheers
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post

Great for you oh hallowed big white hunter, I am with you on no steelhead or golden trout in SA, but lighten up dude. Laugh and wave, or chuckle at them in your own time for their ignorance, but don't go ballistic on them
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Someone needs to lay off the steroids.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast