Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bethal and Nantes dams- Paarl

Default Bethal and Nantes dams- Paarl

Perhaps I should've done a good search on the above topic on flytalk however I thought what the hell am sure I will start a new thread anyway.

Question that I am to have answered is that of why don't we hear much of these dams as good fishing venues ? I can't recall ever seeing a catch report from these dams at all ?

I caught my first trout here many many moons ago and it was a fait sized fish which was pretty strong.

Many thanks
    Shaun

these dams are apparently stocked every now and then (not sure about the frequency), but then almost immediately raped and plundered of all fish...

yip
    that sums it up ebf. been there before and seen guys with spinning rods and even worms, taking every fish out. my wife and i were the only 2 releasing,
    much to the dismay of these guys. according to mc, they cps stocks once a year, but then no monitoring happens after that. in fact i think i'm going to make a turn there this weekend to check it out.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Relating to the thread under "day ticket fisheries", if a venue like this isn't properly managed it will go under. I fished these dams once and have to admit that it's difficult to beat the quality of the scenery, water and potential of this venue. Caught one fish on a parachute adams.

As Jean at the CPS said, they can just as well buy the local poachers McDonalds instead of going through the trouble of stocking these dams.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Relating to the thread under "day ticket fisheries", if a venue like this isn't properly managed it will go under. I fished these dams once and have to admit that it's difficult to beat the quality of the scenery, water and potential of this venue. Caught one fish on a parachute adams.

As Jean at the CPS said, they can just as well buy the local poachers McDonalds instead of going through the trouble of stocking these dams.
    makes you wonder sometimes, that if we can't manage 2 beautiful stillwaters like these..... what next????
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Thumbs down

Hi Shaun,
    I was there on 26/05/07 and we had no luck, we had every fly you can think of out there, floating line and sinking line, and had no luck! I agree that some one should take control of this venue, i'm sure if its stocked and managed all of us on this site would fish it. If you do go let us know wat happens, I'll give it another go late september when the bass are active. Good luck.

I fished these waters over a decade ago, caught quite a few smallies but no trout. What a shame that it can't be managed, it is a rather surreal place, dams on top of the rock, great views and nice water. Would be good to remove the smallies (did someone say retonone?) and restock with rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    I fished these waters over a decade ago, caught quite a few smallies but no trout. What a shame that it can't be managed, it is a rather surreal place, dams on top of the rock, great views and nice water. Would be good to remove the smallies (did someone say retonone?) and restock with rainbows.
    hi kevin
    in this case the locals are the ones who need retonone. as soon as the waters were stocked, they were "plucked". as far as i am to be told....
    "lets braai at Paarl Rock,.....I'll catch us something to eat"

Well I guess that confirms it then.

So sad , I started off learning to cast etc here moons ago and caught some brilliant fish ! Recall having to go to Muncipal offices to get permits etc etc

Lets hope they get tired of catching and eating smallies and bugger off !

I assume these dams are man-made.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast