Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Weight" a minute!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Refering to this thread here are a few random snaps of the lead underbodies I did today. I sommer gooid beads onto hooks for the next batch of 144 commencing 2morrow.

For Jules & Herman.

2394 lead wraps.

Attachment 10949 Attachment 10948 Attachment 10947

Why?
    For me tying flies is like lighting a cigarette with matches. There is something about it that just makes it better than a lighter.

When I tie flies I love every little step. Clumsy fingers trying to pick up the bead. Cutting of a little too much lead and then swearing at myself for wasting tying material etc. It is a process, you may even call it a labour of love.
    Having my hooks pre-beaded - pre weighted and then spinning a dubbing brush around it just won’t do it for me. It seems almost corporate, artificial, cheating or dare I even say - commercial.

Unless I am tying flies for the masses - I will carry on with my labour of love. My relationship with the vise has not yet become a habit.

I love the effort and commend it - but I am still in love with the process.

PS. You also get Whiskey and Soda ready mixed in a can.
    Last edited by redhumpy; 04-08-11 at 08:44 PM.

I agree, I do 1 fly at a time and YES it is very inefficient, but that is me... start it and finish it...

BUT

Let's give credit where it is due; G, AWESOME WORK MAN! As always; I admire the effort, work and precision, but as left-brain profiled as I am [and I am BAD, can fw the report if you wanna have a laugh], not even I will take things as far as you do...

Keep it up man.

PS: I should have commissioned you for my LM trip flies; you would have done them in 1 evenings sit down

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Why?
    For me tying flies is like lighting a cigarette with matches. There is something about it that just makes it better than a lighter.

When I tie flies I love every little step. Clumsy fingers trying to pick up the bead. Cutting of a little too much lead and then swearing at myself for wasting tying material etc. It is a process, you may even call it a labour of love.
    Having my hooks pre-beaded - pre weighted and then spinning a dubbing brush around it just won’t do it for me. It seems almost corporate, artificial, cheating or dare I even say - commercial.

Unless I am tying flies for the masses - I will carry on with my labour of love. My relationship with the vise has not yet become a habit.

I love the effort and commend it - but I am still in love with the process.

PS. You also get Whiskey and Soda ready mixed in a can.
    Some people cannot possible phathom my passion for tying flies and how "I" go about it doing it. Each to his own they say.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    I agree, I do 1 fly at a time and YES it is very inefficient, but that is me... start it and finish it...

BUT

Let's give credit where it is due; G, AWESOME WORK MAN! As always; I admire the effort, work and precision, but as left-brain profiled as I am [and I am BAD, can fw the report if you wanna have a laugh], not even I will take things as far as you do...

Keep it up man.

PS: I should have commissioned you for my LM trip flies; you would have done them in 1 evenings sit down
    Ek is nou allergies vir Streamers so hou maar verby met daai idee.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Gerrit

I only saw this thread now....... Very cool.

You only do the whole chart/weight thing for conmtrol flies?

That makes complete sense. I fish for yellows with a similar (like saying a homo sapiens is similar to neandertal) system and it makes precise depth control such an easy thing.

You stand in a perfect rapid.....the flies don't touch bottom......pick the same but one weight heavier control fly in your box....tie it on and........fish on.

Sometimes it is that simple. It's not actually about the actual weight but rather about their weights relative to one another.

Thanks Gerrit

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Gerrit

I only saw this thread now....... Very cool.

You only do the whole chart/weight thing for conmtrol flies?

That makes complete sense. I fish for yellows with a similar (like saying a homo sapiens is similar to neandertal) system and it makes precise depth control such an easy thing.

You stand in a perfect rapid.....the flies don't touch bottom......pick the same but one weight heavier control fly in your box....tie it on and........fish on.

Sometimes it is that simple. It's not actually about the actual weight but rather about their weights relative to one another.

Thanks Gerrit
    Hi Mc,

Yes only for control flies but I do weigh other stuff just for fun.

Finally someone that understands my thinking with 2 weights per size. Those weights you see cover "my" every need. 1,2g,1.0g in #8 and 0.8g & 0.6g in #10. I haven't felt that I needed smaller control flies like your #12's and #14's or #6 for that matter.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Hey Gogga, what was the exact weight of lead on each fly in milligrams, and the total weight of lead used on the 144 flies.
    Open the pdf document and count yourself.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Another 144 control flies done.

IMG_2040.jpg
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Another 144 control flies done. Now on to the less serious stuff,Nymphs!.
    Don't Let Korrie hear you! He wil report you for Blasphemy.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234