Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Weight" a minute!

Arrow "Weight" a minute!

The month of July is normally spend on replacing Fly-tying materials that might be out of stock or it could be me wanting to try out something new, if any, for the upcoming spring season starting at September when the water warms to about 14-15 degrees Celsius.The rest of the month is dedicated to any preparation work possible with the materials at hand. By the beginning of August, I would have collected all the materials needed to commence with a month of vigorous tying sessions consisting of anything of up to six hours a day trying to get ready for spring. If you are at a similar point in the season and don’t know how to proceed, I urge you to read further and try to follow and incorporate some of the tips that I’m about to share with you.

“Weight“ a minute.

Attached is my weight reference chart for Caddis control flies, (fig 1.) everything carefully weighed and measured. I’ve been using the chart successfully for two seasons now and I’m sure it would be just as beneficial to you. You can apply the information to more than just Caddis patterns so please don’t hesitate to experiment.Also attached is my existing formula (fig 2.) for tying flies in weights of approximately 0.6g, 0.8g, 1g and 1.2g. These weights will cover MY every single need from spring to fall on any type of water.Gone are the days of “grab and guess or tie and hope”, purposeless lead wire wraps and inconsistent finishes trying to tie a “heavy” fly. The art of tying control flies have evolved to a more scientific approach and it’s that new and improved way that I’d like to share with you.

I hope you learn lots and please if you're unsure about something don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 01-07-11 at 09:17 PM.

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

mark Banned User

I find it very interesting what flies weigh, I ordered a scale from a jewelery shop to weigh my flies but havent got it yet mabey next week, they go for about R500.

Why do you need to know the weight of your flies?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

mark Banned User

out of intrest and to see the difference between different methods of weighting flies and to try get the most weight in the slimest profile for nymphing.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    out of intrest and to see the difference between different methods of weighting flies and to try get the most weight in the slimest profile for nymphing.
    Yes, I understand that, but for what purpose?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why do you need to know the weight of your flies?
    Consistency is just my 1st thought!

Have you ever caught a fish, eventually, loose that miracle fly only to tie on another 'same' fly with no results...

Gerrit, awesome work man, as always - as an engineer I always appreciate your preciseness and focus on detail.

Andre, it is similar to yesterday when people stared when I took my digital fishing scale to Game, Makro and Sportsmans to weigh dumbbells before buying; to ensure the set is balanced. [Topic for another day, but you will be shocked to find by how much 'the same' weights can differ] - the same goes for flies.

Keep the good work going G! One of these you must release a book - the NEW age fly-tying 'bible', a scientific approach

mark Banned User

Sorry Andre I dont understand what you mean, I said why I want to weigh flies.

Mark, I'm not trying to be funny here, perhaps I can learn something. I know what you said, but I don't understand why you need to know the weight, apart from an interest point of view. If you have gone to the trouble of weighting flies, you must be an exceptionally technical and talented tyer and angler, and as such, I can learn from you.

If I am fishing, under what circumstances would I select a 0.05g fly as opposed to a 0.1g fly assuming the flies are identical?

My question is how do you mark them or keep them in your box. As i like to have the same pattern in different weights. But once i have used them they all get mixed up.

Do not know which is the heavier ext.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast