Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Simms bring back felt soles

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Factor View Post
    Hello guys, I have watching this thread with open eyes

Out of the Simms range, what would you say is the most durable? My thought would be Freestones??

sweet
    Dan, my new Simms Rivertek Boa boots should arrive next week.
    You'll see then next time we fish together.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Factor View Post
    ya i know that but freestones are made from one soild peice of leather, i have had a pair of guides and were not that impressed ,lasted me half the time than the freestones did,
    The freestones are not leather, they are made from PVC. The newer vibram or felt soled freestones, with the rounded toecap protruding ahead of the front of the sole, are the ones to stay away from.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

ya i hear soo hey, people are telling me that there new freestones are falling apart, think its going to be the guide boot

thanks guys!

Default New Freestones

Got new Freestones on the weekend. They are PVC but the toecap is made from a hard rubber material which seems very durable. The plus factor was the cost at $130 which is under R1000. The proof is in the pudding, but the river season is still some time away to really test them. I know the freestone without the rubber toecap did not last at all.
    There is 7 times more water than land! Surely The Lord meant man to fish 7 times more than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The freestones are not leather, they are made from PVC. The newer vibram or felt soled freestones, with the rounded toecap protruding ahead of the front of the sole, are the ones to stay away from.
    Jip, definately PVC, I have a pair of these and the toecap is a big problem. Other than that the boots are actualy quite good. I've had my current pair for about 2 years and I really do fish alot and its still fine except for the toes, which is now covered in epoxy The lacing system is ok, it gives good ankle support, and my studded felt soles gives great traction. One other problem is that its a bit heavy, but not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    ... except for the toes, which is now covered in epoxy
    Remind me to show you a product that will make you forget about using epoxy on the toes of those boots.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Stan

I used them last season fairly extensively. This season not as much due to an injury but I would say they've had one good season on our WC streams. (Fishing once a week for the duration)

After Kyle's feedback I have been keeping a close check on wear etc and up till now, they have been perfect.

I hike in with them as well and, although heavy compared to proper hiking boots, they perform well on the trail.

The Vibram soles are not as good as Aquastealth, in my opinion, but are adequate.

I will probably buy another pair when these wear out.
    I must admit, having been one of the people who dissed the freestones, that the riversheds have impressed me a lot. I have done 14 days rough hiking/ fishing in them under full pack (2 trips) and they handled very well. Apart from that I use them for all my hiking on table mountain and obviously on normal day strolls on the streams. I tend to use them for general hiking because I find them so comfortable to walk in. Mine have also been abused quite badly while trying my hand at caving where I have scraped and scratched them quite a bit. Despite this they have worn well- they are starting to show signs of wear and tear but I will get another season out of them and then buy another pair.

I will never buy felt again- they are great in water but nowhere else. If you tend to drive up to your spot and walk straight onto your beat/ rapid then they are the way to go but for any 'rough' fishing they are a time bomb. And carrying them in is just not practical in my opinion.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Kev, I bought my Riversheds on your recommendation, so I'm pleased to see that you're still happy with yours As you said to me at the time, anything more than the Rivershed (eg Guide series) is probably overkill and unnecessary.

The most comfortable wading boots I have ever owned, albeit a touch heavy.

Bought some Riversheds beginning of this year after being less than impressed with the Korkers. Wore them for a month in NZ and was very happy with the grip they provided (grip from these was probably second only to the Patagonia Riverwalkers which have amazing grip for a rubber soled boot) and they also seemed pretty durable. They just arrived back today from Oz after a long 3 month journey by ship so will try them out on our rivers when the season opens.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4