Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Smoked Sharp Tooth Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    I thought we only killed gypo's for feathers ? Didn't know we were supposed to eat the b*ggers as well Speaking of which, I am still waiting patiently for some gypo feathers
    We've got Gippo geese at our dam, Darryl. I pick up the odd feathers every now and then. If I remember will send you down some.
    I love kurper/bream/tilapia. Carp which is huse on Europe does not appeal to me and as for barbel...the Cajun catfish fry-up parties - no wonder the rednecks also eat each other if they can also eat catfish

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    We've got Gippo geese at our dam, Darryl. I pick up the odd feathers every now and then. If I remember will send you down some.
    I love kurper/bream/tilapia. Carp which is huse on Europe does not appeal to me and as for barbel...the Cajun catfish fry-up parties - no wonder the rednecks also eat each other if they can also eat catfish
    Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for the offer, just giving Kevin a bit of k@k as he has promised me gippo wings since I have known him (which is getting on for a couple of years now). I used to pick up a lot of gippo & hadeda feathers at the sports fields where I walked my border collie. I now mainly walk her on the beach and seagull feathers don't seem to be good for anything. I do come across the odd dead seal but I can just imagine the looks I will get from the honeyb*ggers if I start skinning it on the beach

Getting back on topic, agreed re tilapia/bream etc - very good eating. As for carp and barbel, I haven't plucked up the courage to try them yet - something about rump steak on the braai being a better option

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hi Darryl, yes I also get guinea fowl, hadeda, various duck and geese feathers/CDC just from the school dam also sports fields. great stuff to use for humdrum common or garden flytying. My old granduncle used to live on a remote island off Vancouver and used to use seal fur for his tying. I agree with your unvoiced sentiments all this kinda stuff is far better sanitised and wrapped in plastic ready-to-go - seal's fur, carp, guinea fowl or barbel!

Default Pickled

Never eaten barbel as well but for carp I have had it pickled and it was quite nice
    being a bony fish pickling is the way.

Must ask my wife for the recipe maybe Ill start a new thread on pickled fish.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

My wife's usually pickled by the time I get home

My wife's usually pickled by the time I get home
    I can see that by you Avatar
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Touche, darling!