Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: It is official

Quote Originally Posted by IvanJenkins View Post
    Hi Shamwari

I was in bassas in October 2008. Our yacht trip out there was a ball ache but well worth it. We had two days of perfect weather and the fishing was ridiculous but the weather turned sour so we couldn’t really get the most of our trip.

Here are a few words of advice;

Make sure of the condition of the tender boats before you leave on you trip. (I’m not sure which charter yacht you are going on but having a reliable tender (preferably two) is a must if you want to fish for parrots on the atoll.)

Make sure the person in charge of your meals does a proper job, (sashimi is good, but not for breakfast lunch and supper consecutively for 10 days)

When vertical jigging the deep water (which I suggest you do) use wire trace, there are plenty wahoo.

Take a satellite phone and a GPS and keep it in a waterproof bag.

We found on our trip that in areas where we caught blue kingies we caught no GTs and areas in which we caught GT there were no blues.

GT were caught mostly in the surf. If you are going to fish conventionally make sure you can belt those heavy plugs out, carpenter plugs with the weight on the back end cast the best and make the best disturbance.

Sharks are super easy on fly, they become a nuisance.

It may be worthwhile visiting the hols and Jaguar banks while you are there, plenty of big tuna.

All in all bassas is an unbelievable place, it is so wild. It’s like fishing in an amazing aquarium and the distance you have to sail to get there has kept it that way. I remember a +-10kg black kingfish and a green jobfish swimming in the eddies coming off the back of our boat … crazy stuff

Oh yeah, hi I’m Ivan.

Regards
    Fanastic Information, thanks very much.

Welcome Ivan...hope ya enjoy the forum....now let me print this for my file...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

A mate of mine went a little while ago. He said apparently ORANGE crabs, permit hermits and charlies are the way forward for the flats!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    A mate of mine went a little while ago. He said apparently ORANGE crabs, permit hermits and charlies are the way forward for the flats!
    I am in a pickle, should I tie flies (never tied Salt water) or just ask Murray and them to tie up some...or have a mix, bought and self tied...
    I battle to gooi a Gerrit and tie 43434 flies and still keep a spreadsheet on stats...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Jules China, I am super jealous!!!!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about this!!
    Maybe you should join us at Kosi, it will do a great deal for your casting arm...

Bastid, I am green!!!
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPowrie View Post
    Jules China, I am super jealous!!!!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about this!!
    Maybe you should join us at Kosi, it will do a great deal for your casting arm...

Bastid, I am green!!!
    Funny you mention that Adrian, we were talking about Kosi today...maybe I should give it bash with you brigands...

Aewsome !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Aewsome !!!
    I must come and chat to you okes Ricko

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Funny you mention that Adrian, we were talking about Kosi today...maybe I should give it bash with you brigands...
    Dude, you so making me jealous with this trip planned! I really think Kosi would be a great idea! Get used to that canon you need to learn to cast (chuck more like!) but also get your stripping speed up!

Man, I am chomping at the bit to do something like that, you gonna have a blast!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
    Dude, you so making me jealous with this trip planned! I really think Kosi would be a great idea! Get used to that canon you need to learn to cast (chuck more like!) but also get your stripping speed up!

Man, I am chomping at the bit to do something like that, you gonna have a blast!!
    Thanks Michael...

I tried that 12wt the other day with the depthfinder as I said...bliskim...

Casting soldering wire is easier...

Practoooosh (as Korrie says) is in order....plenty of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I am in a pickle, should I tie flies (never tied Salt water) or just ask Murray and them to tie up some...or have a mix, bought and self tied...
    I battle to gooi a Gerrit and tie 43434 flies and still keep a spreadsheet on stats...
    You got a couple of months. Do 1 fly per day
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast