Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to make the best rod in the world better...

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Nice stick Mike!

I like the cork selection on the grip

And the single foot guides too!

What about a little fighting butt?
    Hi Liam

Yep...that grip does look pretty good huh?

This man didn't want any fighting butt on his rod. However, I did give him a removable rubber butt cap, to mainly protect the rod...but can double as a little fighting butt if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    "How to make the best rod in the world better..."

You really think it is the best rod in the world or is it the best rod you own? What makes it a better rod than the Hardy Zenith? Have you ever tried, held, seen the Zenith?
    When it comes to 5wt's, I've probably owned and fished more varieties and makes/models than most guys...I'm a 5wt slag!
    So yes, in my opinion, the Z-Axis is the best and most versatile 5wt 9foot fly rod in the market.

But that's just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When it comes to 5wt's, I've probably owned and fished more varieties and makes/models than most guys...I'm a 5wt slag!
    So yes, in my opinion, the Z-Axis is the best and most versatile 5wt 9foot fly rod in the market.

But that's just my opinion...
    Have you ever held Chris Williams' 14wt Powell....that sounds wrong doesn't it...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I am not too partial to single foot guides, with me, they tend to bend, I should be more careful, but I prefer snake guides...proper footing...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Check out the guides on the gloomis streamdance. You can press them flat against the rod, and once you release them they pop right back to original position.

I recoil that too.

Quote Originally Posted by riverun View Post
    Check out the guides on the gloomis streamdance. You can press them flat against the rod, and once you release them they pop right back to original position.
    Yep, as Gerrit says, it's "Recoil" guides. G.Loomis and Hardy (certain rods) are some of the few guys who exclusively use Recoil guides. They have expanded their range into snake and single foot guides, and added a new colour called "Black Pearl"...looks awesome.
    These guides are made from a special "shape memory" nickel titanium alloy. They will snap back into shape when bent, never corrode in any enviroment, and are very good looking too.
    Only down side is the price...start around $ 3.10 per guide, so can make a rod considerably more expensive. And on lighter, freshwater fly rods, it's a bit of an overkill in my opinion.
    Also, the only thing I do not like about the Recoil guides are their stripping guides...the looped "all-metal" style I don't like. I'd rather substitute it with a titanium Fuji stripping guide...looks ten times better and is just as hardy in the salt.
    But yes...they are definitely fantastic guides!

we still need to go cast the b3x I built. going to fish it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fly_mike View Post
    we still need to go cast the b3x I built. going to fish it this weekend.
    Good rod, that Winston. Where you going to fish it?

Going away to Magaliesburg. gonna try for a bass in the farm dam. if they havent frozen to death

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2