Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Turned reel seat spacers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Bit scheptical about working with Tamboti though, due to its toxic nature, but I'm sure I will at some stage.

I'm not necessarily set on a light colouration, but am looking for something interesting. Panga-panga is quite dark. But I'll turn a few more and post them..
    Tamboti is awesome if you like dark and interesting
    Although it is quite noxious, its not a problem unless youre smoking the wood shavings, cooking on it or eating with it. You can be perfectly save by waring one of those basic paper face mask jobbies they use in heavy industry.
    (Oh and wash your hands before sticking your fingers in your mouth )
    You'll know very quickly if youve come short with Tamboti as the next morning you'll be 2 meals behind, 10 shits ahead and atleast 5kg lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Although it is quite noxious, its not a problem unless youre smoking the wood shavings, cooking on it or eating with it. You can be perfectly save by waring one of those basic paper face mask jobbies they use in heavy industry.
    You'll know very quickly if youve come short with Tamboti as the next morning you'll be 2 meals behind, 10 shits ahead and atleast 5kg lighter.
    Ha ha ha.. Yeah for sure.. I'm definitely gonna turn some.. I have a few blocks cut, so why not..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Jip, some people are affected badly, some not. I'm lucky enough to take Tamboti fairly well. Bit of a headache is the worst that I get. Lovely scent though when working with it.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Guess the only way one knows, is by working with... So I'll give it a go and see how it turns out..

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Multi-purpose finish - it's great!!!

http://www.basilmanning.co.za/index....mart&Itemid=29
    Ok, so you actually using this on the spacers? How many coats do you apply?

Looking good Dude...even the first "samples" you rolled off the lathe looked good. New lathe is working hard huh?

We must get together again shortly so you can collect the blanks, cork, other stuff.
    Maybe we can do a quick demo here on the lathe too.

Think the bloody flu has struck me again....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Looking good Dude...even the first "samples" you rolled off the lathe looked good. New lathe is working hard huh?

We must get together again shortly so you can collect the blanks, cork, other stuff.
    Maybe we can do a quick demo here on the lathe too.

Think the bloody flu has struck me again....

Shot Mike! Turned some panga-panga last night and cut up some Tamboti..Yeah, its hard at work bud .. yeah, let me know when u free! I'm away the wknd. Pop round to mine, and check the McCoy..!

Ok, so you actually using this on the spacers? How many coats do you apply?
    Yes, on some spacer I do use this. When I want a high gloss mirror finish. Number of coats depend on the density of the wood. I've had a few where I had to apply 4-5 coats on very porous woods. On the dense stuff I've used 2 coats which is plenty enough. Just note, this is for a high gloss finish, which sometimes is not what everyone is looking for.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ok cool.. Will I'll have a look at it sometime.

Ok cool.. Will I'll have a look at it sometime.
    Stick to the Danish oil Ryan. You can get a great shine on it, after three coats, some light sanding with 0000 steelwool, and then buffing it with a touch of compound. (See below...this spacer is all Danish Oil...and the final coat was light sanded and buffed).
    So, the bonus is, you can get a matt finish, satin, or high gloss, all with the same product. And if the first coat is thinned, it penetrates and waterproofs the wood great.

The varnishes, finishes, superglues, etc just looks a bit plastic to me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast