Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New materials / experiments?

Arrow New materials / experiments?

I've just gooid lead on 144 hooks and whilst wrapping away I was thinking about what other tyers might be trying out this upcoming nymphing season i.t.o new tying materials. From my side I'm gonna try out some grating foil. It's basically very thin vinyl that is used on Caddis larva patterns as an scud back alternative. It comes in about 8-9 colours and is a Jiri Klima product. Been around for 3 or 4 years.Apart from that I've been busy for a while replacing my dubbings. I'm slowly but surely moving over to Hends and Klima's dubbing. Flippen great quality and really cheap.

What's yours?
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 05-08-11 at 11:05 AM.

Nothing new but i want to start experimenting with as many different foam patterns as possible.Capes are becoming increasingly expensive so i hope to find some alternative dries.

Gerrit, jy moet meer gaan visvang Dude...
    As jy jou nuwe stok kry beter jy meer op die water wees as agter die fly tying vise...

Gerrit

144 hoeke met lood???? Jy het beslis 'n probleem.....

Ek het so paar jaar terug van daai grating foil gekoop, maar dit nog nie gebruik nie. Sal graag wil sien hoe dit uitkom.

Het jy al goue hoeke gebruik vir die Geelvis? Kyk bietjie na die Hanak goue Caddis hoeke. Baie mooi hoek.

MC

Die grating foil werk baie mooi op die caddis patrone.
    Daar is so paar verskillende patrone in die reeks.
    Traun fly tying, het foils maar in 'n metalic sheen, wat ook baie mooi lyk.
    moet nog so paar vliee met die bind, het so jaar of wat gekry. maar nog niks gebind met dit nie.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Gerrit, jy moet meer gaan visvang Dude...
    As jy jou nuwe stok kry beter jy meer op die water wees as agter die fly tying vise...
    Eish ek hoop so!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Gerrit

144 hoeke met lood???? Jy het beslis 'n probleem.....

Ek het so paar jaar terug van daai grating foil gekoop, maar dit nog nie gebruik nie. Sal graag wil sien hoe dit uitkom.

Het jy al goue hoeke gebruik vir die Geelvis? Kyk bietjie na die Hanak goue Caddis hoeke. Baie mooi hoek.

MC
    Nee man ek het mos my weight chart so ek tel en wrap boom klaar... Ek het al van daai hoeke gebruik Mc,hulle het nie gehou nie,2x wire en al. Ek sal nie sommer van Daiichi 1120 af weg beweeg nie. Die probleem is sodra jy bietjie pressure opsit buig jy hulle oop,veral in structured water met groot visse.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 04-08-11 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Die grating foil werk baie mooi op die caddis patrone.
    Daar is so paar verskillende patrone in die reeks.
    Korrie I have 6 colours and the pattern is the same. You are talking about Backside Natural Foil. I don't like it because your only have so much "pattern" to work with.

Ps. The only schlep I have with this material is that you have to measure and cut your strips to the desired width, much like thin skin. But if them fishies like'em so be it i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I've just gooid lead on 144 hooks and whilst wrapping away I was thinking about what other tyers might be trying out this upcoming nymphing season i.t.o new tying materials. From my side I'm gonna try out some grating foil. It's basically very thin vinyl that is used on Caddis larva patterns as an scud back alternative. It comes in about 6 colours and is a Jiri Klima product. Been around for 3 or 4 years.Apart from that I've been busy for a while replacing my dubbings. I'm slowly but surely moving over to Hends and Klima's dubbing. Flippen great quality and really cheap.

What's yours?
    Hi Gerrit - I've been toying with the idea of having patterns printed on clear vinyl - not sure if I'll get around to it, but maybe you want to try it? Koos has a printing works and will be able to help out with that up there. You can create your own colours, patterns on the vinyl. Maybe it will work well, who knows?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hi Gerrit - I've been toying with the idea of having patterns printed on clear vinyl
    Ye Mario that's exactly what I thought,it will def work. I will search for a supplier close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Ye Mario that's exactly what I thought,it will def work.
    Will be great if you report back if you go this way - for me time behind the vice is a rumour!!!!

Nice thing about this, you can print metallic colours for a bit of extra shine here and there .... if you want.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast