Thread: SM winter nymphing

mark Banned User

Default SM winter nymphing

I went fishing over the long weekend on the Vaal not really expecting to catch anything but more to practice some nymphing, I saw a few rises in a slow, deep run and thought that because the rises were more or less in the same area there might be a fish holding there so I fished that area over and over with no strikes, I even tried really bright flies hoping for a strick out of aggression but nothing. I know I would have had more chance with a dry fly but as I went to practice nymphing I didn't have any dry flies, so what I was wondering is have any of you caught a yellow in winter nymphing and do yellows hold behind rocks waiting for food, or do they generally patrol more than holding behind a rock?

I fished Bothaville a few yers ago in the dead of winter.We fished a slow glide section that was about 2m+ deep.I think we caught around 9 fish with the best around 3kg in that one section.We used hotspots and grhe to get them and must have made hundreds of casts over the same area the entire day to get the tally.Must say i cant remember seeing any activity the entire day.I have not done any winter vaal trips since but it is worth the effort.maybe its our persistance at sticking to the spots we chose and the flies we chose that caused the fish to give in to our offerings and take then out of frustration :-)

I am sure they are still around and, after all, they still need to eat but generally they will move out of the shallower water into the deeper sections of the river.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

More importantly, the fish's motabolisms slow down in the cold and thus they eat far less in winter. The nymphs are also much less active: have a look under a rock or in the rocksnot now vs mid September vs late November and you'll see a huge difference in the activity levels.

Why sweat for smallies when you can sweat just as hard for largies? (or just go trout fishing)

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post

Why sweat for smallies when you can sweat just as hard for largies? (or just go trout fishing)
    Two or three seasons back there was no need for sweating.... The Yellows were there to target but now it seems you need to wait for summer just to find out IF there's any Yellows left in the river I just wish we can get an accurate explanation as to why they behave like this the last couple of winters - do we blame the frequent flooding and pollution
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

mark Banned User

I did look under the rocks and did notice less insects but still worth a try, each one to their own but I dont like fishing stocked still waters, I prefer rivers with wild fish, because I think the way our rivers are going in the future we will only have stocked still waters to fish so I make the most of it now. As for largies... Help please, cause I dont have a clue!

Mark if you do a search there are some very informative LM threads on here. that being said - i've read them all and am still on 0 LM's this winter Have only been twice though but still. I def think next time if it gets to midday and still nothing, the SM flies are coming out. lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.