Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fly-tying tips 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    One thing I saw on one of Shammers' fly pics which I thought was a neat idea was to pop a small cube (5mm x 5mm x 5mm) of foam over the tip of the hook point while tying so if you do nick yourself against the hook point you don't get nailed.
    On small sizes I just set the hook further back in the jaws. That way the jaws hide the hook point from my fingers. On streamer-type flies, I cover the point with a small section of plastic tubing.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    This is not a joke nor am I trying to be funny.

I had a lil mishap last night whereby I cut myself pretty deep with blood flowing all over the place.The quickest way to stop the bleeding was to lift my thumb in the air above the heart AND to cover the wound with glue asap. I still had some tying to do so the "closed" wound enabled me to continue.

This morning the cut is half way closed.

Attachment 11178
    Hope you're registered for workmens comp!

I did the same last week but while...cooking..not tying and my wife freaked out when I superglued the cut

For those new tiers who battle getting really thin dubbing noodles try using a product called quick dub if you're getting frustrated. It's basically a very fine diameter loosely woven mohair wool, comes in numerous colours in lengths of about 5m fro around R20.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    One thing I saw on one of Shammers' fly pics which I thought was a neat idea was to pop a small cube (5mm x 5mm x 5mm) of foam over the tip of the hook point while tying so if you do nick yourself against the hook point you don't get nailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    On small sizes I just set the hook further back in the jaws. That way the jaws hide the hook point from my fingers. On streamer-type flies, I cover the point with a small section of plastic tubing.
    Point taken...

Will use this tip for my next batch of "stinger" tandem rigs - I always get caught stroking the materials back and forgetting the trailing 2nd hook...
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Whenever you're working with permanent markers you're bound to bump the jaws of your Vise or the head or wherever and it's always a mission to get the ink off. I've come up with a neat little trick, use Sally Hansons and apply varnish to the effected area. It will loosen it up for an easy wipe with a cloth. It even helps for white keyboards.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 01-12-11 at 04:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2