Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prep work 101

Default Scissors

Just to add, I cut along the width of the patch which is very short so room for error is little if any.
    Gerrit Viljoen

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Mario, the nice thing about the vinyl is that you can stretch it a bit so even if you cut 4.5mm strips and not 4mm (my go to width) you can still "reduce" by stretching the diameter once your material is tied in.But yes I use long scissors,very easy and quick to complete.

Ps.I tried measuring with a ruler but after the first leaflet I used my eyes to gauge,came out great. With the wheel, do u need to cut along a ruler or something solid?
    Ja, you have to cut against a ruler to get it really nice. Freehand works, but I suspect for you the precision will be required

This makes it easy if you cut the foil (in my case nymph skin) in a long strip the length of the card. That way you just clip the length you need when you tie.

I also have one of those cutting boards with the measurement already one - makes the ruler required just for the actual edge to cut.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The schedule looks like this; 60 tails (CDL) and 18 Caddis.
    Done and dusted.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-08-11 at 02:06 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

FlyFanatic Banned User

gerrit, first, awesome flies as always, makes all of us drool..

second, what the hell do you do for a living mate?! no job that I know off allows for so much spare time.. unless of course you're a male stripper/hooker/drugloard or something...

also hats off to all the guys who tie flies in the evening after a long days work. I have an "office job", I do however drive quite a distance each day, but no physical hard work, and I am "flou" each evening. after swambo and the dog gets their expected attention and all the other things which needs to be done, I really have NO energy left whatsover, let alone to sit down and focus on tying flies..

so please share your secrets with the rest of us, using special horse hormones or maybe an illigal russian performance enhancer??

I heard magnesium helps if you tire during the day, think I will get myself a slab of the stuff, take a bite just before tjailatime, should give me enough oemf to tie some flies!

Done and dusted.
    If you really need to dust them already you should consider taking a feather duster to your tying room
    Thats sure motoring though!

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    If you really need to dust them already you should consider taking a feather duster to your tying room
    Thats sure motoring though!
    You joke? I really have a Ostrich duster for my tying table and surrounds.

IMG_2141.jpg
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    so please share your secrets with the rest of us,
    No secret I promise. Bind slim = beplan en whip dis al! Oh en ek werk vanaf die huis, dit help obviously baie.
    Gerrit Viljoen

No secret I promise. Bind slim = beplan en whip dis al! Oh en ek werk vanaf die huis, dit help obviously baie.
    by the looks of things its more like: jy PROBEER om vanaf die huis te werk

You joke? I really have a Ostrich duster for my tying table and surrounds.

IMG_2141.jpg
    used for tails and gills...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123