Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trout somewhere between Fouriesburg and Clarens

Default Trout somewhere between Fouriesburg and Clarens

Hey guys

You may know that I am not a huge fan of trout but perhaps it is because I have never fisher nice trout water. I am heading to Oranje gasteplaas for a wedding somewhere between Clarens and Fouriesburg at the end of October. Perhaps this is the chance to change my thoughts of trout.

Any suggestions of where to stay and where to fish? It would be ideal the fishing spot has accomodation and be as close to oranje gasteplaas as possible.

What sort of tackle would I require for these streams/dams? And what flies will do the trick that time of the year?

Ek ken glad nie daai wereld nie so my Vaalrivier orange hotspots en tiervis clousers mag dalk nie werk nie...

Ag nee manne niks raad nie?
    Surely someone must have some suggestions on a venue in this area. I'd love to try some river trout if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    Hey guys

You may know that I am not a huge fan of trout but perhaps it is because I have never fisher nice trout water. I am heading to Oranje gasteplaas for a wedding somewhere between Clarens and Fouriesburg at the end of October. Perhaps this is the chance to change my thoughts of trout.

Any suggestions of where to stay and where to fish? It would be ideal the fishing spot has accomodation and be as close to oranje gasteplaas as possible.

What sort of tackle would I require for these streams/dams? And what flies will do the trick that time of the year?

Ek ken glad nie daai wereld nie so my Vaalrivier orange hotspots en tiervis clousers mag dalk nie werk nie...
    Bump (end september)

Ha ha ha.... I wonder if he has found "nice trout water" in the past 3 years :biggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Bump (end september)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi guys,

I am heading to Clarens in April, got a wedding at the same venueas Jacques. Any suggestions on trout water that is fishing well at the moment? I am a river fanatic, so would prefer river fishing but don't mind fishing a dam.
    Last edited by LongLine; 28-01-15 at 11:30 PM.

There are a few farms along the way if you drive from Clarence to Golden gate not sure if you have time to ask around.
    There was a fly factory in Clarence close to the weather rock. This was worth a stop and I supported them as the flies were cheap and very well tied. I kept one or two patterns as souvenirs as I will not be able to tie them like that.
    De Molen has a river that can be fished. We fished Craigrossie closer to Golden Gate entrance that has two dams. The top dam has big trout and lots of weeds, we fished from the bank and target the gaps. I would like to use a boat or drift this dam. The bottom dam has lots of carp that can be fished with dries as they feed continuously from the top.

Also see this page for a phone no for De Molen:
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...light=clarence
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

I know it's still water but if you're looking for a nice pace to stay with some decent trout, I would say go to sediba lodge. Very nice accommodation and rainbows and browns in the dam. caught a very nice (3pound)brown there in august last year.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I think what we'll end up doing is staying in town for the sake of the womenfolk and fishing the Ash for a morning. Any pointers on the Ash river perhaps? They had it on the Wildfly fishing series the other day and looks quite intimidating! Very fast and deep

Try the Ash river. Its in that area, and easy to access, and there are some nice big trout. IT was featured on "Wildfly" recently, so check their website, and maybe mail them for some assistance, but it looks like a good option to get some really decent trout out of a venue that would be not so difficult to get to.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Oops didn't see this post before I posted mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by LongLine View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I think what we'll end up doing is staying in town for the sake of the womenfolk and fishing the Ash for a morning. Any pointers on the Ash river perhaps? They had it on the Wildfly fishing series the other day and looks quite intimidating! Very fast and deep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast