Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Barbel help

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Make the effort to come Bloem way in summer and I will sort you out with a double figure fish or 10.:-)But seriously.If ever you pass by this way and would like to spend a day targetting them you are more than welcome to knock on my door.
    I'll definitely do just that! the barbel in Natal just dont seem to be as aggressive as their whiskered cousins up north.

Ask Mark deJager.He was here in the beginning of the year and really enjoyed it (sorry Mark,not sure you want yyour mates to know you caught Barbel).All its gonna cost you guys is petrol and entrance to the reserve.

Jonno, I can not wait for the season to start...

You guy's should really take John up on his offer, I was amazed at how easy and fun it is. We love to fish with fellow forum members..
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Ask Mark deJager.He was here in the beginning of the year and really enjoyed it (sorry Mark,not sure you want yyour mates to know you caught Barbel).All its gonna cost you guys is petrol and entrance to the reserve.
    Naaah Boet its an absolute ball! They may not be the pretteyest buggers out there but a 7kg highveld steelhead gives you mighty fine sport on a #6
    Infact I believe Ive actively encouraged a few chaps to get in touch with you about lashing cats (Ne' Shamwari?) and now Ive got the Mrs telling me we need to go to Bloem again
    Last edited by markdej; 22-08-11 at 04:26 PM.

Your Mrs. knows a good place when she sees one :-)Maybe we can get a nice group together and rent the train coaches for a night at the venue i took you last time.There is enough water for 20 guys easily.Although i doubt we will sleep much if we are so many forum guys together.LOL

Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Your Mrs. knows a good place when she sees one :-)Maybe we can get a nice group together and rent the train coaches for a night at the venue i took you last time.There is enough water for 20 guys easily.Although i doubt we will sleep much if we are so many forum guys together.LOL
    Could be an absolute jol!
    But this time Im just going to ignore the rats and mice under 5kg.
    And if the bruising on my arm after a morning was an indication, Im sooo bringing a rod with a fighting butt for a full session

And some Camphor cream for the pain.I mean cape velvet cream :-)

This sounds like some real fun, I would also love to join.

Default Barble on fly

Yes absolutely fun

Ive always cought them on a fly called a "Half Chicken" with a red tail.

I like to target them when they are in schools of about 5 - 10.a 7 Weight rod with a lot of backing needed is needed. I landed a 10 KG Before, 20 minutes before that one i got one that was impossible to turn even holding the rod horisontal with the water didnt help at all. as i saw the last couple of loops on my reel go i had to hold it to snap the 18 pound leader like it was no joke at all. Any bay at the vaaldam with shallow water will be excellent spot in the following months to come.

Chris let me know where and when as id like to join you guys as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast