Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: knotted Pheasant legs

Default knotted Pheasant legs

Hi
    I watched a tying clip recently where they used knotted Pheasant Tail fibers for legs on hoppers etc. The guy had a pre-knotted tail he bought. I googled and saw some ways to knot these fibers and boy, did I battle at first. Luckily I had a few beers and then it seemed a bit easier.. I tied some flies but I'm wondering how durable these legs are going to be. Do any of you use these as legs or is there some new material around?
    Just seems a bit of a process if the legs are going to break off after a fish or two. Do I coat the legs with something? My first few legs were knotted too far down resulting in a longish leg. A few more beers and I rectified this however. Here is how it looked.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Hey Rols,

I use phesant tail legs a fair bit, but they are certainly not durable.
    To knot them though I use a pair of Dr slick extra hand tweezers.
    I simply grip the fibers, rotate them round the tweezer and then pull it through the loop that creates. You get alot more control and its then very easy to be precise. (And you dont need loads of fingers)

If its for hoppers though you should consider the same legging technique but with flexi floss. Its more durable and has loads of movement. (But it obviously creates bulkier legs than the phesant)
    Last edited by markdej; 26-08-11 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks Mark
    Makes sense with the tweezer, I was using my bodkin and poked myself a few times. I'll see how it goes and how durable they are this season.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

A few beers and it looks like that...WOW!!!
    I suggest you tie a few totally drunk...
    Should I send you beers or money on placing an order for a few of these?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    A few beers and it looks like that...WOW!!!
    I suggest you tie a few totally drunk...
    Should I send you beers or money on placing an order for a few of these?
    Hah hah, done that before. They started off as dries but when I was finished they were suitable salt water flies

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Do any of you use these as legs or is there some new material around?
    They've been on the RSA market for a while, but I'm using Veniards centipede legs on small patterns. For bigger stuff I use strands from silicone "watermelon" type bass lure skirts.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Hey Rols,

I use phesant tail legs a fair bit, but they are certainly not durable.
    To knot them though I use a pair of Dr slick extra hand tweezers.
    I simply grip the fibers, rotate them round the tweezer and then pull it through the loop that creates. You get alot more control and its then very easy to be precise. (And you dont need loads of fingers)

If its for hoppers though you should consider the same legging technique but with flexi floss. Its more durable and has loads of movement. (But it obviously creates bulkier legs than the phesant)
    Can you please post a SBS on this because mine always end up looking like something scraped off my car windshiel(factor).

Hah hah, done that before. They started off as dries but when I was finished they were suitable salt water flies
    You saying our saltwater flies are f@cked up dries you f@cked up troot/carp/....whatever!!! flyfisherine
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Can you please post a SBS on this because mine always end up looking like something scraped off my car windshiel(factor).
    Here you go

Step 1 :
    Grip the base of the tail fibers in your tweezers and create a loop against the tweezers

Step 2 :
    Rotate the tail fibers around the tweezer jaws and thread the tips through the loop created in step 1

Step 3:
    Pull the base of the fibers through the loop.

Step 4:
    Repeat as needed, sliding the knot to the desired location.
    Here is an example of a full leg (3-2-1) and a biot leg using the same technique.

Hope that makes sense!

Hi
    I watched a tying clip recently where they used knotted Pheasant Tail fibers for legs on hoppers etc. The guy had a pre-knotted tail he bought.
    There is a simple tool for knotting the legs and youcan get it from haberdashery shop where it a part from knitting machine
    Can buy them preknotted
    Vlad the impaler (of fish)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast