Thread: Twine Control Fly - SBS

Default Twine Control Fly - SBS

Tying instructions assume right hander tyer.

Bead: Mercury glass bead – Amber (or tungsten)
    Hook: Knapek G
    Thread: 14/0 Sheer thread – Cream or amber
    Abdomen: Twine (wool or antron as substitute)
    Thorax: Blend of gold flash, cream, brown and grey squirrel dubbing.
    Rib: Copper wire

Step 1) Thread bead onto hook and place in vice. Use either flat lead strips cut 2-3mm wide or round lead wire to weight body as shown. The correct shape is to have a bulge in the middle and tapered out on either end.
    Attachment 11231

Step 2) Tie in thread in a clockwise direction. Tie in rib at the bead and wind the thread down to the end of the lead and wind back to the bead. The rib should be positioned running along the top of the fly.
    Attachment 11232

Step 3) Tie in the twine behind the bead.
    Attachment 11233

Step 4, 5, 6) Twist the twine in an anti clockwise direction to flatten it out. As you wrap down to the bend (wrapping away from you over the top and back towards you underneath – ie anti clockwise around the hook), do not give the twine any slack – as you wrap back, the twine will twist up into a tighter rope. This will exaggerate the bulge in the middle of the fly. As you get to the mid point, slowly start twisting the twine anticlockwise again as you wrap backwards – this will flatten it out again once you get back to the end point.
    Attachment 11234
    Attachment 11235
    Attachment 11236

Step 7) With the twine in your left hand, bring the rib under the twine with your right hand and wrap it over the twine and around the hook – trapping the twine.
    Attachment 11237

Step 8) Rib the wire in a clockwise direction up to the bead and secure. Trim excess rib and twine on both ends. Leave a little tail as shown.
    Attachment 11238

Step 9) Split your thread and put some of the mixed dubbing in. Spin it into a tightish rope as shown. Wrap the thorax and whip finnish behind the bead. Neaten the abdomen by trimming the ‘fuzz’ down to about 2-3mm and then brush it all backwards.
    Attachment 11239

Step 10) Put it in front of a feeding trout or yellowfish and hang on!
    Attachment 11240
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Anyone know what that twine stuff is called? I found it and have no clue...
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

nice one! i like the idea...will def work for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Anyone know what that twine stuff is called? I found it and have no clue...
    Its sisal twine.

Shot Matt, Lekke pattern.

Very nice idea, thanks Matt
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I tie a similar fly using hessian. It is like R32 a meter and it is 1.6m wide. One meter will last a lifetime, you also get dyed hessian.

Here is my mustard hessian caddis
    Last edited by AB1; 06-09-11 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

I don't want to sound ignorant, but probably will. Waht does SBS stand for?
    I like the fly. Nice nymph immitation. Being also a saltwater oke, it looks alot like a amphiopod and I reckon it might fool a mullet or two.
    Thank you
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Standard Bull Sh!iting

No, STEP BY STEP
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)