Thread: Fishing kayaks & trout waters

Default Fishing kayaks & trout waters

I had the chance to fish a large stillwater this last weekend. My son and I took our fishing kayaks rather than using the dingy. We've never used them on a trout water before, but they were awesome. They're quick to move around the dam on. They're stable enough to land the kind of trout we get in Western Cape Stillwaters. They're low enough on the water to be able to slip a hook out without "landing" the fish. I must say, to me they seem an ideal boat for big stillwaters. Do any of you guys use them on trout waters?

One question: My son's ski is bright red-and-yellow and mine is white. David caught less than I did despite being a FAR better angler than I am. Do you think trout can see those bright colours from below, or would the ski just look black?

One question: My son's ski is bright red-and-yellow and mine is white. David caught less than I did despite being a FAR better angler than I am. Do you think trout can see those bright colours from below, or would the ski just look black?

Mike ME THINKS! The new rod, the colour of the fly, and the retrieve had more to do with it! Ians ARK is bright red as ALWAYS! and they klapped the fish! Lets just say after spending all the money on David up till now, Mike was rewarded with his day. Next time well! David's gonna be out to get the old man back!
    There is 7 times more water than land! Surely The Lord meant man to fish 7 times more than work!

Damn right I am

Anyone else on this forum fly fish from fishing kayaks?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

We use Hunterski kayaks on the Vaal. They are hard plastic (nie pap & lap nie) and very robust.
    Mine is bright orange (for safety reasons) and the other is a drab olive (my son's)
    We get yellows from both
    Advantages is stealth, can go upstream, easy to change position, transportability, one person can handle it and the excercise (bonus!). The only disadvantage is you can not stand up in them.

I have really wondered about these little plastic white water rafting canoes.

They seem super stable, light, small, easy to manouver, industructable, etc.

Have any forumer had any experience with them.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post

Yes Korrie, these work very well. I've seen guys use them on the Smalblaar and Witte rivers. Not to catch fish though . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzers View Post
    ... The only disadvantage is you can not stand up in them.
    My Kaskazi Marlin (faster & more K1 shaped) is not stable enough to stand on, but my son is able to stand on his Big Tom ski and cast his 9wt. He's so light he looks a bit like a Sudanese famine victim. The Big Tom looks more like a bloated paddleski than a kayak but is perfectly stable.
    Last edited by Mike Taylor; 31-08-11 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post

In my experience "fluids" as they're often referred to, regardless of the actual make, are anything but stable when fly fishing - they react to the slightest movement. That's what they're designed for after all... You're also cramped in a very awkward position to fish from if your legs are anything more than hobbit length Cool for white water rafting, k@k for fly fishing.
    Check your knots!