Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scary IF TRUE

Unhappy Scary IF TRUE

Now don’t go up in arms yet, I just need to have some more insight from more knowledgeable environmentalists! I have NO proof for the next statement since it is just a rumor from an unreliable source but non the less it got me thinking:

Heard that there is a possibility of companies getting the go ahead to fish the large dams with trawler boats (like the ocean kind) and gill nets for the "lesser wanted" species (according to SOME) like catfish, moggel, carp etc. on big scale (tons per month) for export. Now obviously if these tactics will be used – surely the other species like yellows will also be scooped up by mistake and even if they are released (yeh right) what will be the possibility of them surviving the torture be! Apparently there were people doing this at Bloemhof dam a couple of years ago. Don’t know Bloemhof dam and the impact it had if indeed true but worrying none the less. I also heard of people breeding catfish for export purposes in well maintained “farms” and this brings me to the statement – why should some spend thousands to breed the fish without touching their natural habitat and other are allowed to RAPE it with some government stamp of approval? Obviously if you compare the size of ocean and size of our large dams – how long should it take for even one trawler to completely clean up the dam from all fish species if you take into account the visible damage on fish species in our oceans at present? Then the last point made by some people stating that it might actually be a good idea to ensure the increase in population of our indigenous fish like yellows and kurper in these systems due to less competition for food. I know that makes sense on paper but how the hell is that physically possible?????
    No one does it smaller then me!

The 1st of april was 11 days ago

Default Sirias?

Howzit Guys!
    That sounds like sacrilege to me, dude. There is a massive demand overseas for carp and catfish. South Africa's aquaculture industry is still small, but growing fast. There are catfish and carp farms who do exactly as you say, farming these fish in an environmentally friendly manner, and then export mostly to the East. Trawling for these fish will both negatively impact on the environment of a lot of indigenous species, and it will hurt the growth of the aquacultural industry. I also agree that Yellows and such caught in these nets are not likely to be released, and if they are, their chances of surviving the ordeal are slim, at best. I personally don't know if it could be true, but you never know til you have the facts (anybody..?). IF this is true, the people behind this are set to make some money, and in these cases the environment and conservation often play second fiddle, IMHO. Everyone who agrees that this is RAPE, say "I".. Hopefully your unreliable sources are hearing impaired, and got the rumor all wrong. Thanks for sharing, though..
    Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by thrisss View Post
    Obviously if you compare the size of ocean and size of our large dams – how long should it take for even one trawler to completely clean up the dam from all fish species if you take into account the visible damage on fish species in our oceans at present?
    This is exactly why this will never happen in dams - the populations would be wiped out before the companies harvesting the fish would have a chance to repay their debts from setting up their businesses.

Interesting though - they do harvest kapenta from kariba but those are really small fish and the nets don't seem like huge trawling dragnet thingys.
    "So heres my point. Dont go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thats dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Good point, Grant. I don't know if it's possible to completely one hundred percent wipe out a fish population, but I can't imagine it taking them long to realise that their resource is not exactly sustainable. Sounds pretty damn silly actually, come to think of it.
    cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Hopefully your unreliable sources are hearing impaired, and got the rumor all wrong
    Hope so too – but if not, I will bring it up again in a more serious nature! Maybe we can try do something about it then....
    No one does it smaller then me!

What they should do is to allow them to fish out that toxic waste dump called the Hartebeespoort Dam. I'm sure those fish glow in the dark. That will surely **** up this country's reputation as a source of fish and put an end to such a hair-brained scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    What they should do is to allow them to fish out that toxic waste dump called the Hartebeespoort Dam. I'm sure those fish glow in the dark. That will surely **** up this country's reputation as a source of fish and put an end to such a hair-brained scheme.
    Yeah. I don't know Harties at all, but it's as you say. It's a freakin' hair-brained scheme. Won't work cos it can't work. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that the "unreliable sources" must have their best underpants in a twist. It just doesn't make sense, IMHO.

Cheers!

Default Interesting Reading....

Coming soon to a pond near you.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Yeah. I don't know Harties at all, but it's as you say. It's a freakin' hair-brained scheme. Won't work cos it can't work. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that the "unreliable sources" must have their best underpants in a twist. It just doesn't make sense, IMHO.

Cheers!
    You guys think that is so far fetched, well I'll tell you what, I have seen a preliminary impact study of turning Harties into a commercial fishery. The document has been removed off the web (PM me if you want me to email you a copy) but the company that did the study still has it listed on their websites as a project http://www.dhec.co.za/projects
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast