Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scary IF TRUE

In my opinion Harties is a lost case. The rivers in its catchment area are polluted beyond belief and there is no end in sight as long as the informal settlements continue to exist. Harties can be cleaned up in only one way. You have to drain it and incinerate the bottom sediment to try and remove the stored nutrients. That will require a s**tload of money. Replacing the water won't help. The dam will again be supplied with nutrient-rich waters from its catchment area. I,to be quite frank, do not believe for one minute that the environmental consultants will achieve any positive results and the comments on their website is a load of nonsense. Harties is a prime example of the mismanagement of the catchment of an important dam and the ruination of an important recreational asset. Hey, don't pull the leash so tight...

Uhm, how about the fact that raw sewage was (and still is AFAIK) being pumped directly into the dam, forget the townships along the way, it's the rich Harties snobs club poop that is making the water glow green.

From naturalist/conservationist friends of mine I have learnt that by design the whole crocodile river system was intended for use as a sewage disposal tool.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

Well as far a trawling our dams, this was attempted in a very fertile dam called Koppies many years ago and the result of that was that after a short period of time the dam had to be restocked and the large largemouth yellows have disappeared. It is not sustainable.

As far as nets go, there are existing permits available for commercial netting and it has been taking place in Harties, Vaal dam and Bloemhof dam. I sincerely believe that this is unfair that some people have to farm with these fish while others get opportunity to pillage natural recourse (if you presume carp are natural). that be what it may. does this not now leave opportunity for the disadvantaged to be allowed to farm subsistent? Think about what damage their nets would to do the highly populated (humans) Vaal river system. Good-bye yellows. Why would government allow that? Votes and food on the table, in comparison to the less than 150 registered fly fish men’s contributions to the GDP of this country. Yep there are only a few fly fishermen in this country as far as the government is concerned. We don’t stand up for any thing. Oh there are about 3000 bait anglers registered in this country. So what does that make us? A divided minuscule group of elitists. What is the future of angling in this country?
    Proposed bills have been made for catch and kill of exotics and subsistence farming for the rest. What did we do to prevent this? Think about it. Not to long or it will all be gone.

Well-stated Terry

The study on Harties I referred to earlier is not for trawler type fishing but rather making the existing netting scheme large scale, so it’s not far fetched

Basically they are considering farming with blue kurper, which feed on algae (perfect with this dam) and removing fish species like carp, barbel and bass (by netting) that prey on the kurper fry.

Yes, none of us would even dream of eating the glow in the dark, three eyed fish that would come out of Harties, but tell you what, the poorer communities that struggle to put food on the table would in a heart beat.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2