Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G's Emerger

Arrow G's Emerger

Hook: Daiichi #18. (You can do them in #14's and #16's as well)
    Bead: 1.5mm Mercury.
    Thread: 14/0.
    Tail: Partridge trimmed.
    Body: Body Quill (Beige , Brown & Black)
    Wingcase: Ice dubbing. (Hot yellow for beige and brown / Lt. olive for black.)
    Thorax: Awesome Possum Brown / Ice dubbing Peacock black.
    Legs: Ice dubbing. Hot yellow for beige and brown versions & Lt Olive for black)

A Mayfly Nymph goes through transitional phases before becoming an adult, they don't just pop out and voalla there is the adult. They go through colour changes just before hatching and it's these colour changes that you need to focus on. As the wingcase pops open, the first thing you see is the colour of the Dun. It is this colour that you not only need to focus on, you need to exaggerate it in your pattern so that fish can identify and KNOW, emergence is about to happen let me grab some now!!! (Selective feeding)

Beige.

Brown.

Black.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 02-09-11 at 03:01 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Let me be the first one to say - very mooi Gerrit!

Epic G!! Properly Epic!

Is that the exploding wing case in action?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Wingcase: Ice dubbing. (Hot yellow for tan and brown / Lt. olive for black.)
    Hi Gerrit, great as always, with a followup question today ....

The Ice dubbing - how does it come from the package? It almost looks like it's "strandy", like flash. Thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks manne,

Yes Mark it is very exaggerated i.t.o colour and size and the only trigger needed IMHO to get selective feeders's attention.

Look at the pic below, mature Nymph about to hatch. What do you see? The pale Dun about to climb out but that Nymph is out of the water, below I reckon it's a more flashy affair and hence the exaggeration of colours. Got the tip from the Master of Mayflies.

IMG_0064.jpg
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hi Gerrit, great as always, with a followup question today ....

The Ice dubbing - how does it come from the package? It almost looks like it's "strandy", like flash. Thanks
    Thanks Mario,

Yes and the way to use it is to twist and pull the material from the packet. (I learnt this from Klima way back, he has a specific way of using his dubbings) Then, fold that piece in half and tie in as a normal wingcase. Once you've pulled it over, secure with thread and separate the two strands and cut short as long as wingcase. These will form your legs, also commonly known as wingcase legs like you would tie a PTN.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 02-09-11 at 02:02 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

7. Default

Thanks Mario,

Yes and the way to use it is to twist and pull the material from the packet. (I learn this from Klima way back, he has a specific way of using his dubbings) Then, fold that piece in half and tie in as a normal wingcase. Once you've pulled it over, secure with thread and separate the two strands. These will from your legs. Commonly known as wingcase legs aka Pheasant tail.
    Cool stuff - will look out for it - it's a nice touch. Where did you get yours? Locally? Maybe share a pic of the packaging so I get the correct stuff. Looks very much like awesome winging material.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hareline's Hot Yellow and UV Lt Olive for these patterns. I'm sure Weizter had some at a stage.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 02-09-11 at 02:01 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

9. Default

Hareline's Hot Yellow and UV Lt Olive for these patterns. I'm sure Weizter had some at a stage.
    Thanks G - wil check with StreamX and Frontier's as well.
    Mario Geldenhuys

G , I realy like what you did here.

to my thinking there are only 2 emerger patterns that forms the foundation for the pletora of sub-surface emergers that exploded on the scene in the last decade. They are the RS2 and the Barr Emerger.
    The RS2 brought the blosseming wingbud and bling of the gas trapped in the wingcase.
    The Barr Emerger brought home the colour trigger of the emerging dun and the emerging wings.
    I tie & fish variations of both cause they are great patterns
    G the legs on your fly is actually the wings poping out prior to unfoulding.
    Then there also Dorsey and his mercury which immitates the trapped gas.

you rolled the whole lot into one so to speak - I like it.
    I recommend you also tie a few more like a Barr emerger - No bead & stiff clipped cockhakle for the tail & wingbuds(legs). Theres a point where those fish ( just to frustrate you no end)takes the nymphs just below the surface.
    it sounds simple but the problem is a vertical emerger is still to close to the suface and a nymph dropped of a klink is just to deep.
    the Barr emerger sits in just the right place 'cause the cock hackles slows its sink after it penetrates the surface.
    and with all the bling on your puppy the wont miss it.
    Last edited by flybum; 02-09-11 at 02:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast