Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ddd

Mike i think my tail is much to sparce and because the top displaces more water than the tail end and the hook is heavier in this section the tail dives. Will try some more tail fibers. The rest of my fly looks identical exept that I used CDC instead of the hackle. Will tyry and post some pics tonight.

Smallstreams Thank you for the link. The man is a master!

No problem Monster, browse the site for a while, there is an enormous amount of info there, and a number of brilliant SBS type posts there. Tom updates the site very regularly, you will be busy for weeks!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The site is awesome!

Its amazing to see how he focuses on how to tie a good fly with lost of attention to detail and info on how to fish it properly!

Just a point for discussion but what do you gents think of the diffrence between a dear hair, cock hackle and CDC collar?

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Mike i think my tail is much to sparce and because the top displaces more water than the tail end and the hook is heavier in this section the tail dives. Will try some more tail fibers. The rest of my fly looks identical exept that I used CDC instead of the hackle. Will tyry and post some pics tonight.

Smallstreams Thank you for the link. The man is a master!
    Just remember if you put floatant on CDC it's ruined. Put floatant only on the tail and the body then.

I don't use CDC in my ddds.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-09-11 at 09:00 AM.

The site is awesome!

Its amazing to see how he focuses on how to tie a good fly with lost of attention to detail and info on how to fish it properly!

Just a point for discussion but what do you gents think of the diffrence between a dear hair, cock hackle and CDC collar?
    It's just my preference, but I use hackle as a collar, nothing else. (Except for monster DDD's, like size 8 and 10, for trout...then use klipspringer all the way...tail, hackle and body). But for smaller DDD's I like using hackle for the tail and the collar.

I'd mix a bit of CDC with deer or hackle for some leggy movement, but not CDC alone. If the CDC "collapses" in the water the fly will really look like a pellet
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Shees, I didn't even think of the collar falling flat or that the floatant will damage the cdc. Think I should just use cock hackle. Will try and post some pics tomorrow

Hi Gents

I had another run at the DDD last night. Just a couple of tips that helped, i will post a pic later today.

Use a hackle clamp to hold the tail while stacking the hair for the body. I started doing this after cutting the tail off the third time while formong the body.

Take a bic pen remove the inc body. Its perfect for locking and compacting hair. After Compacting hair down just keep the open tip of the pen over the hook shank and wrap the thread over the angled point of the pen by pulling the thread it runs down the point and falls in place right next to the stacked hair locking it in place. Makes tying much quicker!

The pics I promissed, I see now that some of the tread is visible, bear in mind that the hook is a size 14 so I didnt even see this when the body was shaped. Will rectify this on the subsequint models.

Leave as is ... perfect a little buggy!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast