Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ddd

Default Ddd

Hi Gents

is a DDD supose to float with the hook shank parrallel to the water or horizontal. I've changed the hackle with CDC and now they all float like spiders.

The other quiestion is how do you keep them dry because after about three casts they start sinking?

The original DDD was tied using derr hair for both the tail and body, where the body is formed by tying in bunches of deers hair from the bend on the hook towards the eye and finally infront of the eye palmeredbrown cock hackle.
    All the ddd's I have used and tied all have floated with the hook point pointing down. It can be that trying to tie this pattern with anything else would not give you the same amount of floatation. I think that whhen the triangular shape is cut it must be done so that it mirrors both sides nest to the shank of the hook and below the shank be gut short enough so that the majority of the "body material" is above the shank.

Also the hook shank should not be dressed with silk if you use deer hair, it won't spin on silk.

I think, just use deer hair.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Thanks Brian,

Glad to hear yours is also floating with the hook down, I used deer hair and didn't dreess the hook shank to ensure I can compress the spun hair.

I cut my DDD's deer hair on the bottom flush with the hook shank, so that it will sit on the water with the hook gape and point in the water. (Make sense?)
    I treat them with some floatant before fishing it, floats a long time. When it starts sinking, make a few false casts to dry it out, put some more floatant on it, and there you go.

Thanks Mike

Will try some gink, I trimmed the deer hair flat on the bottom to expose the hook better. But it still floats like a spider. The tail might be the key, haow many hair do you use for the tail?

used the same principal when tying bread flies. But I realy compress the deer hair as much as I can to by very solid. And also cut it as flush with the bttom of the shank as possible. Havn'e needed to use floatant yet, but will if I must.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Thanks Mike

Will try some gink, I trimmed the deer hair flat on the bottom to expose the hook better. But it still floats like a spider. The tail might be the key, haow many hair do you use for the tail?
    It should not matter...the tail fibres stick out parallel to the hook shank...so when the hook's flush in the water, the tail fibres are on top of the water.
    Unless your tail fibres flare out a bit much?
    Difficult to tell if one can't see the fly physically.

PS: I cut the hackle flush too, remember.

See attached pic, for how I cut my DDD's (on the red line).
    I cut the deer hair as close to the hook shank as I can, cut the front hackle, and any wayward tail-feathers too. So it's completely flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Hi Gents

is a DDD supose to float with the hook shank parrallel to the water or horizontal. I've changed the hackle with CDC and now they all float like spiders.

The other quiestion is how do you keep them dry because after about three casts they start sinking?
    Why not copy the master of the DDD??

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/index....-tying-the-ddd
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast