17 14.05%
  • 4.5kg-5kg

7 5.79%
  • >5kg

17 14.05%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest SM Yellowfish

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is *NO WAY* that that fish is 3.5kg.
    You can tell all that from a single photo? Horatio Cane better watch out!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grahams View Post
    you can tell all that from a single photo? Horatio cane better watch out!
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Horatio se moer, enter Buck Norris!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Gary,

The scale in question is from a McLean net and can you believe it but back in the camp it weighed a 2kg Hullets sugar exactly at 2kg - amazing. That is 4.4lb. Apart from this another scale also read 3.5kg = 7.7lb
    Sorry to burst your bubble Gary.

Cheers,
    Philip
    Hi Philip,

After fishing the Vaal for years and watching guys both seriously overestimate the weight of the fish they catch, as well as weigh in an inaccurate net/scale, that unless the photograph vs weight makes sense or I know/trust the claimant, that the weights are suspect. Also you will be shocked how many guys misread pounds for kg.
    (Regularly I see guys with Weigh-nets who do not store the scale 'closed' in the handle -the constant extension of the scale spring results in grossly overstated measurements.)

I did not pay attention to who had posted.
    I stand corrected that while that to me the fish in the original picture does not appear to be 3.5kg, knowing you & that you would not exaggerate, make a reading error and are not likely to use a crappy scale, that it is 3.5kg.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

My mate Paolo caught this monster yellowfish at Sterkies. It was on a trip we did in 2002, I think. He has yet to better it...was shaking after the ordeal. Was VERY worried that the 4X tippet would not hold! Put a real bend in the 5wt rod...amazing that it didn't snap. It didn't even fit in the net, so we had to lip-land it and drag it onto the boat...both of us.
    We never weighed it, I doubt I had a scale large enough onboard...
    Just wish we had also used the photographic tecnique of fully extending your arms...so the fish is 10cm from the camera, and the angler about 2m from the camera...then the fish would have looked TRULY massive!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael; 15-10-11 at 01:13 AM.

Very sad that I am making this post on a Sat afternoon when most of you buggers are out fishing!

I find it bizarre that most of you fish with 4x. Is this not way to thin??? When I started fishing the Vaal I used 2kg fluorocarbon and the Yellows murdered me. I lost way to many fish. Nowadays I use a 0x leader then tie my dropper onto 6kg fluoro and the point fly onto 4kg fluoro. There are days when some Yellows even pop this!

Surely you must be losing a lot of fish. I have never landed a yellow over 4kg (amper, 3.7kg). Perhaps if I drop to 2kg line they would take the flies? Then again fluoro should be invisible regardless of the diameter...

Geluk met die manne wat al n gele oor 4kg uitgepluk het. En moerse awesome vir die wat al oor 5kg geland het. En sterkte vir die wat nog moet. En shaim vir die wat dink hulle het al...

Cheers
    Last edited by Jacques O Dell; 15-10-11 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    I find it bizarre that most of you fish with 4x. Is this not way to thin??? When I started fishing the Vaal I used 2kg fluorocarbon and the Yellows murdered me. I lost way to many fish. Nowadays I use a 0x leader then tie my dropper onto 6kg fluoro and the point fly onto 4kg fluoro. There are days when some Yellows even pop this!

Surely you must be losing a lot of fish. I have never landed a yellow over 4kg (amper, 3.7kg). Perhaps if I drop to 2kg line they would take the flies? Then again fluoro should be invisible regardless of the diameter...
    Jacques,
    You need to stop working in kg for your tippet & base what you fish on diameter.

Big fish are smart. The thinner tippet allows your flies to both sink faster (with less weight) AND drift more naturally.

You get 2kg line (mono or fluoro) than can be 1X (0.25mm) or 5X (0.15mm), depending on the brand. Not all are created equal.

I test tippet knot strength by tying an overhand knot in a length of tippet, seating carefully, then pulling until it breaks. If for example, you are using Berkley Vanish, it is utter rubbish - try the test. I keep a sample spool to show people the difference between good & bad brands.

I use mostly 4X (0.18mm), stepping occassionally up to 3X (0.20mm) is required.
    I use Stroft GTM or Airflo G3/Platinum fluoro & never feel outgunned. I lose very few fish to breakoffs & I do not 'baby' big fish on my 6wt.
    Gary

Ag sorry man. Eks net n regular ou wat baie geles vang...

I use DoubleX fluorocarbon. What is your opinion on this? Ek weet niks van X'e af nie want ek vermy my X'e (en die DoubleX mention niks van X'e op die rol nie)

I catch 3kg plus fish on a regular basis. The other day I hooked a 3.4 mama right next to the reeds in very slow water with the same rig I use in the faster deep water (heavy caddis dropper and leaded nr 10 point fly). This rig could not have drifted 'naturally' but she took it. Miskien was sy net leke honger.

I think landing big fish is moerse luck! If you cast in the right area and know how to land one, then the time will come...

So fellow fly fishers: what is your tippet material of choice and why? Please mention the diameter and breaking strain.

Wiele!

9. Default

Ag sorry man. Eks net n regular ou wat baie geles vang...

I use DoubleX fluorocarbon. What is your opinion on this? Ek weet niks van X'e af nie want ek vermy my X'e (en die DoubleX mention niks van X'e op die rol nie)

I catch 3kg plus fish on a regular basis. The other day I hooked a 3.4 mama right next to the reeds in very slow water with the same rig I use in the faster deep water (heavy caddis dropper and leaded nr 10 point fly). This rig could not have drifted 'naturally' but she took it. Miskien was sy net leke honger.

I think landing big fish is moerse luck! If you cast in the right area and know how to land one, then the time will come...

So fellow fly fishers: what is your tippet material of choice and why? Please mention the diameter and breaking strain.

Wiele!
    So there you have it Gary, I think you need to step down now as the most succesful competition angler in South Africa to date
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Jacques,

As I recall Double-X fluoro is actually fluoro-coated nylon and not 100% fluorocarbon - the label on the 50m spool is a little ambiguous. To test if a line is fluoro - light it. If it makes a flame, it is not 100% fluoro.

I used to use it years ago, but it is quite stiff compared to other lines of the same diameter. I think the 4kg(~9lb) is 2X (0.23mm) or thicker, possibly 1X (~0.25mm), so it creates more line drag & will be a lot stiffer that the same line in 3X.

Your rig mentioned above all seems to be weighted caddis, which tend to be less mobile than mayflies in the drift.

But hey - lets go fishing together next Saturday or Sunday at a venue of your choice & we can compare tackle & techniques on the water?
    What do you say???
    (I get back from Oz early Sat morning & fly out to France on Sunday night)
    Gary

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast