• 3kg-4kg

39 30.23%
  • 4kg-4.5kg

19 14.73%
  • 4.5kg-5kg

7 5.43%
  • >5kg

19 14.73%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest SM Yellowfish

When I fish proper "short-line" nymphing (adapted Czech nymphing), my leader is 2X all the way. The dropper flies (Mostly #10 & #8 Czech nymphs) are tied on with 3X.

If I want the very top dropper to be a smaller fly, maybe a mayfly nymph, smaller caddis fly, etc...I'll go to 4X.

Indicator upstream-nymphing same thing...3X to the bigger dropper "control" fly, and 4X to the smaller point fly.
    With upstream nymphing on the Vaal I go 9 foot straight 5.5kg Maxima UG for the leader, then attach the 3X and 4X dropper.

With dry fly on the Vaal, depends on the size of the fish or how spooky they are. Big fish...3X to the dry (just for indicator purposes really), and 4X to the dropper, maybe 30 to 50cm.
    Spooky fish, etc...I'll go 4X to the dry, and 5X to the dropper.

Trout in rivers, when fishing dry and dropper, I'll go 4X to the dry, 5X to the dropper as well. Smallstreams with smaller fish...I'll go 5X/6X combo.

Sterkies...when fishing a dry alone...4X.
    I'll step down to 5X if the fish are really spooky.
    Dry and dropper, almost always 4X to the dry, 5X to the dropper.

And I never fish flourocarbon, ever. I like the slight stretch mono affords you. Don't like flouro's non-stretch attributes.

I can finally contribute to this thread after this last weekend's jaunts

My biggest SM Yellow: http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...=3317&page=337

We reckoned the fish was in the region of 4kgs, maybe a little over. Around 65 - 67cm in length and was rather broad. I caught the fish on a Czech nymph setup with 2x tippet to the control fly. Fish was hooked on the control fly (Olive nymph with an orange tungsten bead; size 8).

Michael...I salute you man...welldone! Eish...I need to get there....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Ye great fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Michael...I salute you man...welldone! Eish...I need to get there....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Ye great fish!
    Thanks very much guys, doubt I will be seeing a fish like that again anytime soon, but hey, we can only keep trying!

Gerrit - surely some of your master pieces in your boxes should be able to entice a couple whales onto the line?

I'm drifting a few circles soon so who knows maybe I can surpass my previous pb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I'm drifting a few circles soon so who knows maybe I can surpass my previous pb.
    So you've finally come to your senses and gone full circle
    Check your knots!

Daiichi's scud (1120) is still the best hook for yellows in my mind but for "af en toe se fun" I tie on a #4 circle.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-10-11 at 11:56 AM.

My biggest SM - 3.5kg , taken while swinging at Groenkloof, thought/hoped it was closer to 4kg. A broad shouldered strong fish. Next trip I want to get a 4kg, Etienne landed a 4.3kg on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    My biggest SM - 3.5kg , taken while swinging at Groenkloof, thought/hoped it was closer to 4kg. A broad shouldered strong fish. Next trip I want to get a 4kg, Etienne landed a 4.3kg on Tuesday.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is *NO WAY* that that fish is 3.5kg.
    3.5 pounds (= 3.5lb showing on your scale) = yes. That would be 1.6kg.
    So either your are reading 'lb' = pounds, which is NOT kg, or your scale is *SERIOUSLY* over-reading.
    If the '4.3kg' you mentioned was measured the same way or in the same scale, then it is *almost* 2kg in reality.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast