Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tying kit when traveling

Arrow Tying kit when traveling

I've never really explored this avenue cause I've always been pretty prepared when it comes to flies but it's def something that I'd like to start doing in the future.

What sort of tips can you give if you had to assemble a kit (Vise, tying tools & materials) for an upcoming trip? Overseas traveling,extended periods locally,etc.Do you take with you A-Z or is it more of a selective approach? How do you store / transport your stuff?What about the competitive guys who compete overseas? How do you approach it? Mc,jy was onlangs in Italie, hoe het jy met die laaities gemaak?

Thanks

Hi Gerrit

There is a carp type tackle bag from Sensation Angling (or tackle, not sure) that I saw at Neil's place over the weekend. It's super cheap, and has the most amazing plastic compartents for tackle. It will be super applicable to tying kit as well. I'll see if I can find a pic, otherwise I'll ask Neil to post one.

Alternatively there are the commercial tying kit travel bags, or even look at having a lightweight wooden case made up that could fit into a standard bag that you already own?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I use one of those combo notebook/overnight bags with wheels and an extendible handle. It's got three or four different compartments with an assortment of pockets, elastic bands etc but most importantly it was lying around the house and thus free

Once you've gotten your head around the conundrum of which materials you'll need on your travels the most important thing is probably your vice and tools. A vice that's collapsible, light and has the ability to be used with a base plate and clamp is ideal.

I dont believe there's a perfect solution as your travel kit will obviously change with every destination you visit, but something like the carp kit bag Mario mentioned is probably a good start.
    Check your knots!

ek moer alles in 'n krat...

No, I have 2 toolboxes - and one crate with assortments packed in ice cream containers and labeled (marabou box, hackle box etc). But the tools get shaken about a bit, and its usually a pain to pack all the scissors vice etc neatly and safely for transport. Not ideal yet - keen to see where the thread goes...

Murray did a good article on travel tying kits in the TCFF a few years ago.
    I recently reorganized my tying stuff and divided all my materials up into smaller portions eg a quater bag of of each dubbing/zonker/hackle etc into small ziplock bags. I keep all the smaller portions along with my vise, tools , hooks and threads in an old laptop bag and the balance in a big suitcase. The laptop bag is a good size for traveling with plus I do all my tying at home from the materials in that bag too and just restock when needed from the balance of the materials in the big suitcase.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

I have a smallish cordura tackle bag, that has my collapsable vise in it, as well as tying threads, tools, markers, clamps, portable battery operated LED light, super glue and head cement, etc in it.

Then I have one huge plastic box that has all my materials in at home.

I bought a small tool box, and then some small plastic containers. I took some hooks of all sizes, some beads, etc and put them in the containers. Then I took little plastic bags and put some materials in them, like dubbing, etc. a Few feathers from each colour etc...and so forth. Basically a very scaled down version of my big materials box. Just enough materials and hooks to last me when on a fishing trip. Just replenish anything used once you get home.

Thus, when I go on a fishing trip, where I am possibly going to be tying some patterns, I just grab my tackle bag that has my vise plus all accessories in, and the small tool box with all the materials/hooks etc in.
    I use the big box at home, when tying...the "travel box" is always ready to go.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-10-11 at 10:22 AM.

Lekker manne keep it going thanks!!!! It's that conundrum that Dave refers to that is goiiing the apple chart off balance a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hi Gerrit

There is a carp type tackle bag from Sensation Angling (or tackle, not sure) that I saw at Neil's place over the weekend. It's super cheap, and has the most amazing plastic compartents for tackle. It will be super applicable to tying kit as well. I'll see if I can find a pic, otherwise I'll ask Neil to post one.

Alternatively there are the commercial tying kit travel bags, or even look at having a lightweight wooden case made up that could fit into a standard bag that you already own?
    I saw this at Sportman's Warehouse Centurion yesterday. Also thought it would make a great fly tying bag.

Its the big bag in the back of the picture on the bottom of this page: http://www.sensationtackle.co.za/muti_boxes.html

Benja
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

If memory serves me correctly Gaz recently got one of theese babies:

http://www.airflofishing.com/online....ag/75/no/55187

It looks to be the business as a tying bag. Lots of space and well thought out.
    The only question now is where to get one from

I typically just cram what I can in a large tupperware box, and the sheer lack of organisation just gripes me to the point where although I know I have a material I can just never find it. So I suspect less is actually more

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    If memory serves me correctly Gaz recently got one of theese babies:

http://www.airflofishing.com/online....ag/75/no/55187

It looks to be the business as a tying bag. Lots of space and well thought out.
    The only question now is where to get one from

I typically just cram what I can in a large tupperware box, and the sheer lack of organisation just gripes me to the point where although I know I have a material I can just never find it. So I suspect less is actually more
    Mias in Fourways had them last time I was there. They look like great bags.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast