Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The sandsharks of Langebaan

not too cold, bit chilly when we entered, but fine after a few minutes. Did not measure it, but perhaps 18 degrees Celcius???

I have no idea what would be good temp for them - just thought it could be the only reason.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Niel
    I see that we haven't had much feedback re the absence of the sand sharks from our trip. Does anybody have a spot where they have be successful on a regular basis?. Am hoping to come down to the Cape again around the 26th Nov and feel obliged to give them a second go!!.

Lastly went out with a 9 weight last time but seems I might be over gunned...any recommendations from the forum on going lighter.... 6WT??
    Andrew

Hi,
    All I can add: spoke to previous Langebaan Park Manager - he could not explain the absence, but indicated that the sand sharks normally occur in groups : "Find one and normally you will find a whole group ...".
    Any other thoughts?
    Regards
    Niel

Have been meaning to reply.
    The area you were fishing is not a particularly good one for sandsharks for various reasons.
    The other side near langebaan village is far better if you fish when the kite surfers are not active
    Fish that later half of a pushing tide
    Regards
    Craig

Thanks Craig, will do! Regards Niel

Hi Craig
    I should have asked you when I was in your shop getting flies 10 days ago!!!
    Ok thanks for the info anyway will try again no doubt!!!
    Andrew

This is what works for me!
    Get there at dead low , stay out of the water.
    Rod 6wt , rio leadcore line & 8lb leader.
    Fly -circle hook four bead chain eyes two on each side Charlie wing ,make sure you can see it in the water.
    Presentation- lead sandy by meter and a half strip to get it in his path and let it sit static.When sandy swims over STATIC fly twitch strip do not stop & do not strike.Let him take line and shake rod to drive hook home.
    Hoop it helps.

Hi Big Jim
    Thanks for this...I'll kit up with what you have recommended....just got to find an excuse to fly to Cape Town to fish!!!
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Presentation- lead sandy by meter and a half strip to get it in his path and let it sit static.When sandy swims over STATIC fly twitch strip do not stop & do not strike.Let him take line and shake rod to drive hook home.
    Hoop it helps.
    Shoooe....this sounds a bit like you catch them by foul hooking. I have never tried to catch these fish, but have actually stood on them in the water at Langebaan while sailing. I wonder how difficult it is to catch them, when you can actually stand on them by mistake. If you walk up slowly towards them, I'm sure you could actually pick them up by hand.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast