Thread: Cane rod refurbishment

Default Cane rod refurbishment

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has a cane rod that needs a bit of work, the rod itself seems to be intact just some of the guides are missing and it needs to be revarnished.

Is there anyone in the JHB/PTA are that does this kind of thing? and if so, around how much would it cost?

Any info would be appreciated.

Sam

Try Ricko from FFU ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

If its a rod of value, yes refurb it.
    Otherwise chuck it in the fireplace and buy a graphite or a fibreglass rod, it's going to be cheaper.

Hi Sam

Please may we add a few cents...

Before you do anything, it is advised that you have it evaluated.

Please will you post all the information you have on the rod, including if you have the rod tube, bag or any other extras, like 2 tip and the section count, reel seat locking position etc...

Tom Lewin who is the South African authority on cane rods, will then look at the information, and if needs be, ask his international contact what they think, and can then give you an honest answer as to how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Sam

Please may we add a few cents...

Before you do anything, it is advised that you have it evaluated.

Please will you post all the information you have on the rod, including if you have the rod tube, bag or any other extras, like 2 tip and the section count, reel seat locking position etc...

Tom Lewin who is the South African authority on cane rods, will then look at the information, and if needs be, ask his international contact what they think, and can then give you an honest answer as to how to proceed.
    Thanks a lot for the response, okay I will gather all of that info over the weekend, maybe get him to take a few pics too (of the stamp and the name on the rod etc)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    take a few pics too (of the stamp and the name on the rod etc)

Cheers
    That will definitely assist.