View Poll Results: How many flies on your rig when nymphing for yellows?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll

64 65.98%

33 34.02%
  • >3

1 1.03%
  • I don't nymph

3 3.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 or 3 Fly rig? Nymphing for yellow

Question 2 or 3 Fly rig? Nymphing for yellow

I was reading for the course notes from GGY SM course that I did in March 2009 [can't believe time goes by so quickly]; anyhow, and I was wondering how many guys have settled on 2 vs. 3 [or more] fly rigs, given the rock-snot and other issues with multiple fly rigs?

Maybe not the definitive answer, but I have found that bite detection on a third fly is too low and stuck with 2 fly rig since the decision. It works for me since yes, rock snot and other obstructions does become a hassle which I'm just not willing to endure. 2 fly rig is effective. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Just my opinion though. Others might tell you different
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

When Czech nymphing (or short line nymphing) I use 3 flies.
    When fishing upstream nymphing, with an indicator, I'll only use two flies. (Sometimes only one, or two unweighted flies only with brass beads or no beads, if there's a lot of weed or rocksnot about, or if the flow is shallow and slow. Then I may even switch to dry and dropper.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When Czech nymphing (or short line nymphing) I use 3 flies.
    When fishing upstream nymphing, with an indicator, I'll only use two flies. (Sometimes only one, or two unweighted flies only with brass beads or no beads, if there's a lot of weed or rocksnot about, or if the flow is shallow and slow. Then I may even switch to dry and dropper.)
    Make up your mind!!! one fly or two, one fly weighted the other not, or unweighted with a weighted brass bead, or no beads or weighted fly rock snot, dry and hopper/DROPPER

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Make up your mind!!! one fly or two, one fly weighted the other not, or unweighted with a weighted brass bead, or no beads or weighted fly rock snot, dry and hopper/DROPPER

DAVE
    It's easy...I look at the water, the flow, where the fish are, etc etc etc etc etc....and then made a choice between the lot.

It's easy...I look at the water, the flow, where the fish are, etc etc etc etc etc....and then made a choice between the lot.
    I think I should have paid more attention last time.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

What does your fishing licence say about using 3 flies?
    Check your knots!

yes, there are times when 2 flies are better, and other times when 3 flies are better. It all depends on many things. It's good to be able to know the difference, and to be able to make the neccessarry changes when required.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    What does your fishing licence say about using 3 flies?
    What if the 3rd fly doesn't catch any?
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    What if the 3rd fly doesn't catch any?
    Exactly...

Just think it's a touch offside that competitive guys, guides and clinic coaches actively promote and profit from the use of 3 flies when it's blatantly against the law, however debatable the merits of the law are. We're quick to have a winge about etiquette on the water but are happy to turn a blind eye when it suits us.

Hopefully someone in the know could shed more light on this.

Pirate dvd's or stolen goods anyone?
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast