View Poll Results: How many flies on your rig when nymphing for yellows?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll

64 65.98%

33 34.02%
  • >3

1 1.03%
  • I don't nymph

3 3.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 or 3 Fly rig? Nymphing for yellow

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    What does your fishing licence say about using 3 flies?
    What does it say? It was such a mission trying to obtain a license last time I tried just to be told none was printed, that I haven't after that actually tried to get one again.

Is it clearly stated on the license that only two fly's are allowed?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    What does it say? It was such a mission trying to obtain a license last time I tried just to be told none was printed, that I haven't after that actually tried to get one again.

Is it clearly stated on the license that only two fly's are allowed?
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showp...31&postcount=2

Apparently the law states max. 2 hooks [flies].

I would like to see what the competitive guys like GGY say about this, or Andre ?
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Exactly...

Just think it's a touch offside that competitive guys, guides and clinic coaches actively promote and profit from the use of 3 flies when it's blatantly against the law, however debatable the merits of the law are. We're quick to have a winge about etiquette on the water but are happy to turn a blind eye when it suits us.

Hopefully someone in the know could shed more light on this.

Pirate dvd's or stolen goods anyone?
    I appologise David...I will never use a 3-fly CZN nymph rig again. I feel so K@K now that my terrible etiquette on the water has been exposed...

Oh wait, I suppose I would need to actually get a fishing license as well. Then again, I'm tired of asking the police stations, post offices, tackle shops and municipal departments...who never have any available. Ever.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-10-11 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post

I would like to see what the competitive guys like GGY say about this, or Andre ?
    FIPS Mouche rules are as follows: (International)

ARTICLE 28: COMPETITION FLIES.

28.1. Competitors may use floating or sinking artificial flies.
    28.2. Each fly must be dressed on a single hook, without limit as to size.
    28.3. The length of the dressed fly will be at the discretion of the competitor.
    28.4. Weighted flies are permitted, provided the weight is hidden within the dressing. A single visible bead, not more than 4 mm in its maximum dimension, is also permitted. Painting alone does not constitute dressing.
    28.5. A maximum of three flies is permitted which must not be closer to each other than fifty cm, measured eye to eye, hanging freely.
    28.6. All flies must be attached to the leader in such a way that they do not move or slide.
    28.7. All flies must be dressed on hooks which are barbless, de-barbed or have the barb squeezed down flat.

PS: The last rule has now apparently been modified...ONLY barbless hooks to be used, you can't even use normal hooks with the barb squashed flat anymore.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-10-11 at 04:44 PM.

Surely competition organizers must then get 'permission' to break the law ?

I assume the law will be above competition rules?
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Surely competition organizers must then get 'permission' to break the law ?

I assume the law will be above competition rules?
    Dont you watch rugby???
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

This has suddenly become a very interesting thread. Now the question is, which law do we follow, International or National?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    This has suddenly become a very interesting thread. Now the question is, which law do we follow, International or National?
    Quite easy - the one of the country you are in. Or do you propose we start driving according to speed limits in other counties as well
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Quite easy - the one of the country you are in. Or do you propose we start driving according to speed limits in other counties as well
    Depends whether there is an international speed limit

I am still not convinced though. The rules on the fishing license didn't cater for fly fishing. Maybe there should be an exception? Or a seperate license then. But since that is not the case, yes, I concede Mario.

First of all, I am not a competition guy anymore. Secondly, the law does state only two flies, and no distinction is made between different disciplines, ie, bait, lure or fly fishing.
    Having spoken to Dean Impson, at the CPS AGM, he told me that the intention of the law, was to prevent long line subsistence fishing, of a non sustainable nature. It is easier (when neccessary) to enforce a law that exists, rather than to distinguish between different fishing disciplines. The law will always look at the intention behind the activity that infringes the law, and the intention of the law. The intention of the law, is not to prevent sustainable angling from using more than two hooks, but to prevent unsustainable fishing practices. A flyfishrman that is prcticing catch and release with three flies will never be prosecuted, not will a fly fisherman targetting largemouth yellews. The law exists to be used when it is neccessarry.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast