Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Barbel

Default Big Barbel

A friend just send me these cellphone pictures of a monster Barbel that he caught about an hour ago on a Fish Skull fly. He was fishing for carp on his six weight when something took his line and broke him off. He retied, recasted and the same thing happened again. He then rigged up his 9 weight and landed this monster. Took him 35 min to land.

Nicely done Adriaan

Though I would share.

Last edited by Morne; 08-10-11 at 07:29 PM.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Blog Entries

That is an awesome catch. Do you know what it weighed??
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Dis 'n PAPA-Mnr. Snorbaard! Moes nogal lekker getrek het!

Great going, but the first pic shows caught in the eye, which was it. Still a good catch anyways.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

That is a proper Highveld Steelhead.

Well done!!!!
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Great going, but the first pic shows caught in the eye, which was it. Still a good catch anyways.

DAVE
    I might be wrong Dave, but i think the fly is just placed there for the pic, not actually hooked there.

Awesome catch! must've been fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    That is an awesome catch. Do you know what it weighed??
    He reckons his boga maxed out at 50kg.

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    I might be wrong Dave, but i think the fly is just placed there for the pic, not actually hooked there.

Awesome catch! must've been fun!
    Correct, squarely hooked in the mouth.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    He reckons his boga maxed out at 50kg.

Correct, squarely hooked in the mouth.
    Great fish and awesome catch on a fly rod!

It is certainly a "papa", but 50kgs? hmm me thinks not..

Very good catch.I would say maber 50 pounds at max but i estimate it around 18kg

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Very good catch.I would say maber 50 pounds at max but i estimate it around 18kg
    Maybe I heard wrong. could be 50 pounds, but he was by himself so he must have k@ked landing and weighing it by himself.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast