Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: When do Flies become Lures

Default When do Flies become Lures

This is something Ive been thinking about: When do flies become lures ??
    with all the new materials around like silly legs and skins etc
    are we not getting too close to making lures.
    Im no purist but taking a plastic squid and tying a hook onto it doesnt make it a fly.
    I know there are Igfa specifications .
    but where in your opinons are the boarders between "Fly" and "lure"
    Last edited by damage; 16-04-07 at 04:39 PM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

If you can tie it to a hook and it works good.. its a fly

ahh so using cotton to tie half a sardine to a hook is called a fly !!

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

As long as you use enough cotton and whip finish with a Matarelli!!
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

seriously half a sard we know is way over the line but where is the line ?

Default Its all about weight

This is only if you beileve every thing wiki says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_lure

Definition

The term "fly lure" is not in use in the United States, where a lure is considered distinct from an artificial fly. A lure, in this parlance, denotes only a fishing lure with enough weight to be thrown on conventional tackle. A fly's chief distinction is its lack of weight; one must use a fly rod to cast out a fly because only a fly rod can be "loaded" or bent by a fly line, which provides the weight needed to carry out the fly

Quote Originally Posted by Deneys View Post
    This is only if you beileve every thing wiki says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_lure

Definition

The term "fly lure" is not in use in the United States, where a lure is considered distinct from an artificial fly. A lure, in this parlance, denotes only a fishing lure with enough weight to be thrown on conventional tackle. A fly's chief distinction is its lack of weight; one must use a fly rod to cast out a fly because only a fly rod can be "loaded" or bent by a fly line, which provides the weight needed to carry out the fly
    Some czech nymphs could easily be cast with a spinning rod but then we know that czech nymphing isn't really flyfishing My feeling is fish whatever you like from a pink squid to a red mepps fury (although make it a small mepps as the size 4's need a 9wt) - if you are catching fish and releasing them unharmed (or throwing them on the braai if thats your thing) and enjoying yourself then who cares.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Carefull now Darryl, If you don't think Czech nymphing is fly fishing, then you have to agree that anything other than upstream casting a dry to sighted trout using only insect immitations tied only with natural forraged materials, with a splitcane rod and hand spun silk line is not flyfishing. What if you are czech nymphing with unwieghted flies? What if you are making longer casts with weighted flies? The sport has evolved, and flyfishing has changed and will continue to change. Look at cricket these days with TV umpires and all the technology that goes with the game. Is it still the game they played in the days of W.G.Grace? Fly fishing has less to do with the type of lure, and more to do with the intended application of the equipment. Have you ever been on a stream, and let your fly drift downstream with the current, and then stripped it back? Are you flyfishing? if you drew it back rapidly on the reel, instead of stripping it by hand, what are you doing then? flyfishing or lure fishing? When flyfishing broadened to include species other than trout, particularly saltwater species, the techniques evolved, and inevitably flies evolved. The general availability of synthetic materials nowdays has played no small role in the evolution of the sport. Do you also think that a silicone or epoxy shrimp, can be called a "fly", you have to go back and think why are they called flies in the first place. In my opinion, if you think you are fly fishing, you probably are. If you think you are lure fishing, you probably are, but at the end of the day, who cares.

In the South island of NZ any streamer-type fly is called a lure. This is distinct from the "wee wets" which are your winged wets and soft hackles. This is probably a fairly sensible categorisation as most streamers are designed to provoke aggression and are similar to spinning lures and spoons in their intent. Only the method of delivery differs.
    Last edited by KevinE; 17-04-07 at 01:02 AM.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Carefull now Darryl, If you don't think Czech nymphing is fly fishing, then you have to agree that anything other than upstream casting a dry to sighted trout using only insect immitations tied only with natural forraged materials, with a splitcane rod and hand spun silk line is not flyfishing. What if you are czech nymphing with unwieghted flies? What if you are making longer casts with weighted flies? The sport has evolved, and flyfishing has changed and will continue to change. Look at cricket these days with TV umpires and all the technology that goes with the game. Is it still the game they played in the days of W.G.Grace? Fly fishing has less to do with the type of lure, and more to do with the intended application of the equipment. Have you ever been on a stream, and let your fly drift downstream with the current, and then stripped it back? Are you flyfishing? if you drew it back rapidly on the reel, instead of stripping it by hand, what are you doing then? flyfishing or lure fishing? When flyfishing broadened to include species other than trout, particularly saltwater species, the techniques evolved, and inevitably flies evolved. The general availability of synthetic materials nowdays has played no small role in the evolution of the sport. Do you also think that a silicone or epoxy shrimp, can be called a "fly", you have to go back and think why are they called flies in the first place. In my opinion, if you think you are fly fishing, you probably are. If you think you are lure fishing, you probably are, but at the end of the day, who cares.
    Thanks for the lecture Andre, I think you failed to notice the large smiley after my comment. That plus the fact that in my next sentence I was talking about casting a Mepps Fury on a 9wt As I said, as long as you are enjoying yourself then who cares !

Rgds,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast