Thread: CDC Split thread flies

Default CDC Split thread flies

I've been playing around with the Pettijean tool and finally got the hang of it, so been playing around with some streamer/attractor type flies adding in some cdc at the head. Hooks are all Dohiku, and the rest of the materials are pretty self explanatory, but if you add a bit of dubbing into the tool with the CDC it gives quite a nice effect.

Heres some of the results:

Dohiku J #8

Dohiku S #8

Dohiku 302 #8

Dohiku S #6
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Looking good Grant... I'll take a few of each. 

Default Groot marakas!

This will add "volume" to your fishing. Nicely done Grant!

great flies grant. why not post an SBS for us(read me) less experienced people. especially the 1st and 2nd fly
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Grant! Nice to see you tying again... does this mean we might see you on the streams tome time soon?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

awesome stuff there Grant!

lovely flies, will def put you into some fish anywhere!!!

Wow I like. They look awesome!
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Hi Mr Kieser,

Like always exquisite flies.

The effect with the Petijean tool is just awesome, these flies also catch "more" fish, maybe just because I believe so... Been tying with the tool during the past season and still plench to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I've been playing around with the Pettijean tool and finally got the hang of it, so been playing around with some streamer/attractor type flies adding in some cdc at the head. Hooks are all Dohiku, and the rest of the materials are pretty self explanatory, but if you add a bit of dubbing into the tool with the CDC it gives quite a nice effect.

Heres some of the results:

Dohiku J #8

Dohiku S #8

Dohiku 302 #8

Dohiku S #6
    What brand CDC did u use? The fibres looks mighty long and delicious.

Cheers dudes.

Philip you are right - That pettijean tool was a las for me when i started. Thought i would never get the hang of it, but now am learning more and more about how to use it and it's now very cool.

Gerrit - all the CDC is Pettijean CDC except the Jig, which has Olive Pettijean and Peach CDC that i bought at Philip's shop but can't remember the make of it. It's also very lekker stuff. Philip maybe you can help?

Maddy if you can get a Bronzie to swim up the smalblaar, sure, i'll go try catch it! Nah i am actually pretty keen to get out on a stream again. Been once this season when the water was still too high but still got a nice 17 inch fish so am keen to go back in the next few weeks.

As for an SBS - i will try but it's so hard to find time these days and my photography skills aren't up to the standards of the rest of the guys so i sit there taking 100 photos of each step to make sure i get a good one!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline