Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Number 1 casting instructor in SA

Quote Originally Posted by Ago View Post
    The Best hands down..... Mark Yelland, (my Opinion) .... call him at the FLY SHOP in Jhb.

Best money Ive ever spent learning to cast.

regards

Ago
    Thanks Ago,

How many lessons and for how long each lesson? I'm in NW and can't drive there more than once.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The interesting thing is that the one technique that works 100% for the one person, is not always as effective to teach another person.
    It might help, but not as effective as you want it to be.
    We have to agree here.

Left Kreh and Joan Wulff are both advocates of the feel teaching techniques, yet Brian O’Keefe is more a mechanical teacher. But we can’t fault any of them.

In the shop, we all have different teaching methods, Tom is more mechanical, Mike is more feel and Dean is somewhere in the middle. Our lessons are R300 for an hour.

We also have some superb tutorial DVD's...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    We have to agree here.

Left Kreh and Joan Wulff are both advocates of the feel teaching techniques, yet Brian O’Keefe is more a mechanical teacher. But we can’t fault any of them.

In the shop, we all have different teaching methods, Tom is more mechanical, Mike is more feel and Dean is somewhere in the middle. Our lessons are R300 for an hour.

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like Mike might be my guy if I can't get hold of Mark.

Do you think you can maybe arrange Left Kreh to do a session for me at R 300 per hour
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Hi there.
    If you are interested.
    Iv discovered how to download youtube clips of the net through
    http://www.savevid.com you just copy and paste the link you want to download and Bobs your uncle.

Iv spent the last hour downloading Lefty Kreh's casting tips.
    But I still think there is no better way of learning than first hand, through a
    casting instructor.
    "One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions" John Ashley-Cooper

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~by Patrick F. McManus~

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

If you cant read !!
    Fly down to the CPS River Festival (kulula sale tomorrow!)
    and Tim (author of the learn to cast in a weekend )
    will be giving a free workshop
    awesome crystal clear water and free casting lessons it doesn't get better than that
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Werner it depends entirely on what you'd like to cast and why - tucks/steeples on a small stream, double haul distance with big bass/lm flies, spey techniques for your planned Alaska trip etc.

Try two or three different instructors (the guys mentioned are a great place to start) and let them know what you'd like to learn and then pick however you seem to gel with best.
    Check your knots!

Thanks Jock0,

After 16 years my casting is actually ok, if it wasn't there would have been something seriously wrong with me, the problem is on my overhead, i tought myself and i have a few crap habits that i want to shake. Need some help with a proper technique. I tought myself according to the 10-2 principle which today we know is not the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    We have to agree here.

I'd go Dean, he knows our waters and will teach you tricks as per his flies.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Thanks Jock0,

After 16 years my casting is actually ok, if it wasn't there would have been something seriously wrong with me, the problem is on my overhead, i tought myself and i have a few crap habits that i want to shake. Need some help with a proper technique. I tought myself according to the 10-2 principle which today we know is not the way to go.
    Werner

I had a 2 hour casting lesson from the European casting champion, plus qualified casting instructor, from a couple of years back.

His first piece of advise for me.
    Do the 10 to 2 action, next to a vertical wall that is higher than you fly rod is long.

The most important thing when doing about 90% of all casts, is to keep your rod in the same plain.
    The fear of scratching your rod, against the wall, will be big enough that you will first of all concentrate on keeping the rod in one plane, PARRALEL to the wall.

By standing next to the wall, you will be able to watch your fly line, to see what it does. you will also know when fly line on the back cast or forward cast catches the wall.
    Once you have this under control then visit a casting instructor.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Corrie, i think that would be very good practise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast