Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Number 1 casting instructor in SA

We are glad to see you're getting a few lessons...

There is nothing better to improve your fish than getting a lesson, even if you think you're a competent caster... A good casting instructor will clear up any flaws that you have been working around and then impart knowledge on how to make your casting better and more efficient, offering better accuracy and line management.

Distance is a combination of good loop control and understanding line dynamics.

Loop control, means energy control, which intern means distance and presentation control...

Line Dynamics, go google it, there is a lot written about it... but it is the way a line reacts with a rod (that balanced outfit story, pointless trying to throw a full line a soft rod, using a DT line). It is also the understanding of what task the line was designed for...

End result, don't get frustrated by the inability of getting distance, or even accuracy at distance, if you don't understand line dynamics. Find the maximum range your rod and line combination can comfortable throw and work with-in you boundaries...

and NEVA EVA over line a rod... especial if you want to cast it well.

Practice Pratcice Practice!!! Makes the loops go outbound!!!

Even thought I don't fish every week I go casting at least 2-3times a week for about an hour.... No matter the weather condition....

Sportsfields work "lekker" as you can cast on the lines to make sure the line goes out straight and that the plane stays the same by dropping your backcast to the ground behind you....

I don't really care about distance as most the fish I have cauht have been within 3 to 15m with some further out.....

I consentrate on accuracy by trying to land the yarn fly inside a coffee mug at set distances.... 3m,5m,8m,10m... you get the point

But IMHO it depends on the places you fish and the species you catch..

Obviously for the salt distance is just as important as accuracy...!

Enjoy!!!!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Buy Tim Rolston's book "Learn to fly cast in a weekend" Apparently its fool proof.
    This fool second that motion...

Worked for me, casting principles is key. The book is all about form and distance comes from good form...

Its great to learn the principals of good casting,but you need someone to correct errors to ensure to learn the techniques the right way.I learned that lesson when i had someone video my cast.Now I can put a fly on the mark,or haul a full line with ease,but was shocked to see on video with what inefficient sloppy form i was doing this.
    I realized that even knowing how to cast ,I need help with it.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Its great to learn the principals of good casting,but you need someone to correct errors to ensure to learn the techniques the right way.I learned that lesson when i had someone video my cast.Now I can put a fly on the mark,or haul a full line with ease,but was shocked to see on video with what inefficient sloppy form i was doing this.
    I realized that even knowing how to cast ,I need help with it.
    These have been my thoughts... By filming your casting, you can surely improve your technique. It is something I'd like to do
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

By all means read or watch the principals of casting,understand them then take footage of your cast.You will sort out your problems to a big extent.
    Most often there is no definitive stop in the cast.Casts,especially the back cast,is aimed too low,opening the loop and setting you up for tailing loops etc.Fast rods are cast to relaxed and med rods too fast.
    I also suggest to try and speak while doing this.So false cast and wghen something happens,for example a tailing loop,wide loop,fly hitting rod tip,mention it straight after it happens.This way you know what to look for at certain moments.

By all means read or watch the principals of casting,understand them then take footage of your cast.You will sort out your problems to a big extent.
    Most often there is no definitive stop in the cast.Casts,especially the back cast,is aimed too low,opening the loop and setting you up for tailing loops etc.Fast rods are cast to relaxed and med rods too fast.
    I also suggest to try and speak while doing this.So false cast and wghen something happens,for example a tailing loop,wide loop,fly hitting rod tip,mention it straight after it happens.This way you know what to look for at certain moments.

Tim Rolston's book "Learn to flycast in a weekend" pretty much did the trick. My wife now casts as far as I do. Taught my 5 year old this weekend and he can now give some of you okes a good go. Awesome book. I still owe Tim a review. Get the book guys
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4