Thread: 1st week Oct Keurbooms report

Default 1st week Oct Keurbooms report

Spent my varsity holiday down in plett this past week. Focus was predominantly on fly fishing, but did paddle a few big shark baits out and spend some time chasing those Steenies! (arrrrr - only one fish!)

Conditions were very average and the floating weed was ridiculous at times but I still had some good fun with the juvi leeries. Managed 8 fish over 4 sessions. All fish were caught on clousers. All the fish were small, but enough of a thrill get my 12 year old brother hooked into his first salty fish on fly!

Caught a lekker grunt aswell Dead drifting an olive clouser after a false cast. My second grunter I've caught this way in as many trips. Pretty stoked with such a freebie.

Looking forward to putting in the hours for them properly this December.

Very nicely done. Nice to see the young generation living out fly fishing as a passion as well.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Well done.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Awesome!!
    did you get them at the sametime in the tide cycle or time of day ?
    What was the structure of where you got them like ??
    Thanks
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Good stuff.

Juvi leeries can be a lot of fun when you scale down on your tackle. Good news for me as I am in Knysna and Plett is just a stone's throw away. Nice to hear such report in close proximity.

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    Good stuff.

Juvi leeries can be a lot of fun when you scale down on your tackle. Good news for me as I am in Knysna and Plett is just a stone's throw away. Nice to hear such report in close proximity.

Brian
    Agree, but the problem with juvie leeries, is that they tend to like big flies, and scaling down the tackle can cause problems in casting these flies. Not impossible, but casting a nice big clouser or deciecer, on a 3 and 4 wt rod, can prove a challenge.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks guys

@ Damage: Yes I totally agree. I am sure I read you posting that on another thread. The fishing was definitely very tide specific. Most of the action was very concentrated, but it is rewarding when you figure it all out.

There is some lekker structure, especially up the Bitou. The river has however become increasingly shallow. Most of the Bitou is only navigable by boat on the high.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Thanks guys

@ Damage: Yes I totally agree. I am sure I read you posting that on another thread. The fishing was definitely very tide specific. Most of the action was very concentrated, but it is rewarding when you figure it all out.

There is some lekker structure, especially up the Bitou. The river has however become increasingly shallow. Most of the Bitou is only navigable by boat on the high.
    I heard that the entire Bitou from the confluence of the Keurbooms, right up to the old Dairy, might be proclaimed as a reserve, and no fishing, motor boating, bait collecting, or anything else will be allowed. Anyone know anything about this?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.