Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned by getting smoked

Default Lessons learned by getting smoked

Lost 6 flies and a fly line today. The wind has abated so today I ventured out on my boat and stumbled upon a few schools of GT's swimming on the surface just behind the reef - average size of the GTs was 15kg with some bigger guys around 25kg. I didn't manage to even turn a fish let alone land one.

Going back tomorrow with the 10wt and a reel with slightly more drag. Mako 9550, locked up with straight 40lb leader. Take no prisoners.

Today I was completely undergunned and my 9wt was seriously unable to put any kind of hurt on anything that I hooked up to. Welcome to the school of hard knocks.

Surely getting smoked makes us better fisherman?

Jono.....why don't u keep a 10 or 12w rigged up incase?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Because I'm an idiot and didn't pack the 10wt, instead two nines as they were already rigged up.

About to leave for round two ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Lost 6 flies and a fly line today. The wind has abated so today I ventured out on my boat and stumbled upon a few schools of GT's swimming on the surface just behind the reef - average size of the GTs was 15kg with some bigger guys around 25kg. I didn't manage to even turn a fish let alone land one.

Going back tomorrow with the 10wt and a reel with slightly more drag. Mako 9550, locked up with straight 40lb leader. Take no prisoners.

Today I was completely undergunned and my 9wt was seriously unable to put any kind of hurt on anything that I hooked up to. Welcome to the school of hard knocks.

Surely getting smoked makes us better fisherman?
    Hi Jono.

Aah, it must be hard having a tough life like you...

Please keep us posted on your progress...

Q

Saw a few fish, nothing like yesterday though. Had to settle with two longtail tuna and my mate loosing three nice fish on spin gear. One was a bus. Today was his turn to get smoked.

40lb Leader Jono? What the hell is that???? 40lb has no place in the Land of GT's mate, you should know that.... straight 130lb soft mono bro, don't piss about, them's is GT's, not Bluebones!!!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Blog Entries

Sounds like you took a Knife to a gunfight
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Nic it was exactly like that.

Nep I hear what you're saying about heavier leaders, but this is what works for me. Marlin, sails, yellowfin and other big GTs using this system so I'm pretty confident with 40lb through a 10wt fly rod.

Soon the GTs will move from the reef and into the Gulf and go up onto the flats along the Eastern side of Exmouth Gulf and down the bottom too. It's sight casting mayhem! Last year I got two of them in shallow water, 117 and 121cm, the smaller one was on a 9wt using 20lb leader and a 1/0 clouser. It is possible.

When in the shallows they have nowhere to bust you off so you at least stand a chance, whereas at the back of the reef you'd be lucky to boat a big one.

Here's mine and my mate's longtail tuna tuna from yesterday. Excuse the quality of the phone pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Nep I hear what you're saying about heavier leaders, but this is what works for me. Marlin, sails, yellowfin and other big GTs using this system so I'm pretty confident with 40lb through a 10wt fly rod.
    Was just yankin your chain bro... your record certainly speaks for itself.... Can't ait to see pics of some more epic fish... keep kickin ass out there bro, and sharing the pics!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

I am with Nepps on this one...Have lost too many GT's on puny tackle. I prefer straight 100lb and a proper 12 wt (12/13 Mega GLX) - no finess required!!! May be different if I fished every day though
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast