Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowfish - Proudly South African

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    Has anybody fished Stonehenge lately, going there for my dad's 60th Birthday and though I would use any spare time to do some flyfishing
    Hey Pipe, its not much of a fly venue. You definitely need a boat!

you'd have to swim across channels to get to some fishing water if you dont have a boat of sorts...not much chance from the bankc unless you want to target barbel on fly. there are lots around the rocks in the deeper pools.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    unless you want to target barbel on fly
    Judging from all the frot half dead fish that doesn't surprise me
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Stones,

I think you need to check out Stonies (Stone Haven on Vaal).

Visited it this morning with the kids; since about 2-3 years back they started putting out all the old bread in massive baskets and people and kids could through this at fish [mostly carp and a few barbel - was normally nice 2-4kg specimens] around the cruise-boat anchored at Stonies.

Today I didn't see big fish but hundreds of small carp in the old launch ramp; the kids loved it, BUT, these fish are not well!!!!

You will see dead fish in pics [not a true reflection as a lot of crabs are cashing in on the easy prey] and I did not see 1 healthy looking fish; they ALL have these huge dark algae growth like spots covering 30-50% of their bodies.

Some are so weak my 2yr old was catching them by hand.
    Hi Barend,

I got a reply back from Rand Water:

Hello Brandon

Preliminary investigation indicates a bacterial/fungal infection as a result of stress which is a result of change in water quality in the barrage. There has been some changes in the quality in the barrage due to algal growth as well as runoff from rains in December. The infections seem to only have affected a certain size of carp. I have caught Yellows just downstream of the barrage on Friday and they were healthy. I did see a few carp with the infections on them and I caught a few similar sized carp on bait which were in good condition.

Hope it sheds some light and thanks for your report.

Stones

Do you guys think we can that fungi/bacteria made in mass production?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Do you guys think we can that fungi/bacteria made in mass production?
    To take out the aliens......." Like "

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    To take out the aliens......." Like "
    How long does something non-indigenous have to be in a country to be considered as non-alien?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    How long does something non-indigenous have to be in a country to be considered as non-alien?
    lol, Mario. I'm not going to get into this gepraatery with you again!

Stones, you know you wanna....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Stones, you know you wanna....
    IT is stealing my laptop for an upgrade anyway..........Stones ducks and hides

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast