Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowfish - Proudly South African

These are in excellent condition. They must have the most beautiful colour of all the Yellows. Its just such a pity there are so dam few of them!

The water is drinkable and tastes very good too, so no waders necesary.
    Last edited by Garage; 01-11-11 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garage View Post
    These are in excellent condition. They must have the most beautiful colour of all the Yellows. Its just such a pity there are so dam few of them!

The water is drinkable and taste very good too, so no waders necesary.
    Hey Garage,

Nice fish, which area is this. Looks like the Clanwilliam Largie?

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Hey Garage,

Nice fish, which area is this. Looks like the Clanwilliam Largie?
    Do you get different Clanwilliam yellowfish? Like a Largemouth Clanwilliam and a Smallmouth Clanwilliam?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Do you get different Clanwilliam yellowfish? Like a Largemouth Clanwilliam and a Smallmouth Clanwilliam?
    Yes Mario,

You get Clanwilliam small and large mouth, same as you get Vaal/Orange small and largemouth species.

Back to the TVN....

Does anyone know more about Theo van Niekerk and the TVN? As far as I know he was one of the first guys to flyfish for yellows. He used to be our neighbour near Venterskroon at the vaal. I`ve fished with him a lot but that was 10 years when I was 14....

Apparently the original materials are "rietrot" fur or something with the body made from the strings from a Richelieu brandy bottle I still have some flies tied by him

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Back to the TVN....

Does anyone know more about Theo van Niekerk and the TVN? As far as I know he was one of the first guys to flyfish for yellows. He used to be our neighbour near Venterskroon at the vaal. I`ve fished with him a lot but that was 10 years when I was 14....

Apparently the original materials are "rietrot" fur or something with the body made from the strings from a Richelieu brandy bottle I still have some flies tied by him
    Hey Ernst,

Not sure on the original, original materials. Here is a link to Tom Sutcliffe's site on him: http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/pete-b...of-the-century and http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/pete-b...-the-tvn-nymph
    Last edited by Stones; 01-11-11 at 11:23 AM.

Yes Mario,

You get Clanwilliam small and large mouth, same as you get Vaal/Orange small and largemouth species.
    Okay, this threw me a little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clanwilliam_Yellowfish
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Certainly news to me too.

Caught in the Groot River.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    It's a bit of a difficult one actually! The species have been interbred and introduced inbetween systems. I, just from personal experience know them as the 4 (comparing Clanwilliam and Vaal/Orange), considering appearance and colour. I am no expert but if anyone can clear this up......be my guest?

Hey Ernst,

Not sure on the original, original materials. Here is a link to Tom Sutcliffe's site on him: http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/pete-b...of-the-century and http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/pete-b...-the-tvn-nymph
    Ah yes that other tool... the "lip gripper"

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast