Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowfish - Proudly South African

Default Yellowfish - Proudly South African

Hey Guys,

I wanted to start my own thread regarding the recent conditions of Yellows at any venue around SA. Please, for those guys/girls who are concerned about the conditions of the water and fish.....post it here. If you dont want to expose your secret spot....PM me with the details. Take pics of anything in relation to your concern or even just a general report and I will see to it that the issue gets the attention it deserves.....

My recent report:

It's been a while and finally have something positive to report back from the Vaal River. I have been really busy and also was on leave, fishing the Vaal and spending some time down in the Cape.

Myself, Spongebob Steve and Rick King made a trip to a venue about 10km's down from Parys on the 14 Oct. Flow rate was around 20 and temp was also around 19.5 - 20 deg. Vis was fair, in the region of 25cm and water did not smell for once.

Steve picked up around 4 fish, including 2 largies. Rick got 2 good fish in the net. I managed to net 10 SM Yellows, all in the region between 2 - 4kg and lost many.....long line release....hehe. Two being just over the 4 mark...........was awesome to see so many active big fish and spawning in full swing. We even saw a largemouth in the 18kg range but dissapeared as I casted for it......magnificant!! Carp, barbel and muddies were also abundant.
    Many reel runs and strong fighters got the better of me at stages. Pics were quickly taken and fish were released immediatly.

Fly of the day for me was the TVN, tandemed with a caddis larvae. Hotspots also did a little bit of damage.

Some fish were in great condition, not the best but still beautiful. Others still had some war wounds and red and black spots. One fish had a funny growth or bone sticking out, maybe due to some poephol fisherman not handling his fish properly or not landed with a finer soft mesh net, bending the fin down exposing the bone!! Another one had a large puncture wound on the tail area, probaly speared by something but the fish appeared to be healthy.

If anyone sees fish snares attached to rope or gut......please destroy them? I took out 3 of them that day.

Stones

Just thought I would post a few pics on the TVN (Theo van Niekerk) legendary fly. For me it is an early to mid season fly and always gets big fish.

My version is very similair, a little more attractive but works just as well. I will post a pick of it sometime, when I get a chance.

A must have, as part of your Yellow ammunition, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Just thought I would post a few pics on the TVN (Theo van Niekerk) legendary fly. For me it is an early to mid season fly and always gets big fish.

My version is very similair, a little more attractive but works just as well. I will post a pick of it sometime, when I get a chance.

Stones, I have never fished a TVN before. is it a mid water fly? How do you like to fish it? thanks for all the info..

Quote Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
    Stones, I have never fished a TVN before. is it a mid water fly? How do you like to fish it? thanks for all the info..
    Kewl thanks. Fished, as with the normal natural fast water drift, tandem together, 15cm apart or together with a caddis as top fly and the TVN at the bottom. Bounce them along the bottom, as this is how they naturally move around when detached from the rock.

Great thanks.. Will definitely add this to my arsenal on my next trip out. is it not a weighted fly then? with the weighted caddis bouncing along the bottom and the TVN suspended a few centimeters off the river bed?

Quote Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
    Great thanks.. Will definitely add this to my arsenal on my next trip out. is it not a weighted fly then? with the weighted caddis bouncing along the bottom and the TVN suspended a few centimeters off the river bed?
    It is a weighted fly, think thats what I was saying with it being the bottom fly under the caddis. Dont think it really matters, as long as it stays down. It's wierd, I have also caught it on a retrieve in slower water. Iether or its a great fly to have

Gotcha. cool, will play around with it next time im on the water which will hopefully be in the not so distant future

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post

I tied a couple of these a while ago, but haven't tried them yet. What type and size hook are you using to tie them on?

Is this fly available commercially?

Quote Originally Posted by mornesm View Post
    I tied a couple of these a while ago, but haven't tried them yet. What type and size hook are you using to tie them on?
    #8 - #10 long shank deepwater nymph hooks (kamazan)

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast